• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

81 Jeep Wagoneer questions...

Paul R

NAXJA Forum User
On my way home today I spotted this jeep driving down the road for sale, it has a V8 360, 33" tires, body lift and 91K original miles on it. 4x4 Needs interior work.

I looked at the rear axel and it had 12bolts around it, what axel is it??

They guy is asking 1K for it, but will take less.

Help!!

Would it be a good project?
Worth it for the axels??

Thanks,
Paul

If its stock an 81 Waggy will either have a Dana 44 or an AMC 20 rear axle. The 20 in the FSJ's is alot better than the 20 in the CJ's. It will have a 44 in the front, and 81 should be a driver side drop, I know my 83 was, I think 77 or 79 was the change year on that.

The axles would be the right width, slightly narrower than your Cherokee's. That 44 front however will be a low pinion axle, and the gearing will likely not be desireable, plus you'll have to get perches welded on both axles.

For a grand, I'd say you'd be better off finding an 8.8 for the rear and investing a bit in your front D30.... you're gonna put a good amount of money into those axles to be happy with them.

Back