• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pump making high pitch whining sound

signman2007

NAXJA Forum User
I have been noticing over the past few days that my fuel pump has been making this high pitch whining sound and it seems that it is getting worse. Is this thing getting ready to go out? Anyone have this problem before? If so i want to nip it in the bud before it leaves me stranded!!!!:helpme:

There are 2 types of pumps for that year - a common one, 95% of all XJs have it and it's cheap at Autozone. The other is Bosch, and it can whine (mine has for 4 years now). They are not interchangeable, the bracket and size are different. The Bosch is usually a special order and more $.

So... take it with you and make sure you get the same type. You might also go years without problem too. Sometimes my noise goes away or gets softer too.

Skip

skipc said:
There are 2 types of pumps for that year - a common one, 95% of all XJs have it and it's cheap at Autozone. The other is Bosch, and it can whine (mine has for 4 years now). They are not interchangeable, the bracket and size are different. The Bosch is usually a special order and more $.

So... take it with you and make sure you get the same type. You might also go years without problem too. Sometimes my noise goes away or gets softer too.

Skip

Hey thanks Skip
yeah i don't know if it has been doing it and i just didn't notice till now or what....but i would feel real stupid if it was the ladder. Also to, my tank has been building alot of pressure, you know how when you open the cap to refuel and it hisses at you....well mine actually threw up on me! The other day I took the cap off and it actually shot gas out of the opening about 2 feet! What's up with that????:scared:

That shoudn't happen!! maybe you have a line restriction (ie. bent line, clogged fuel filter). or a problem with return line, evap sys, or charcoal canister. Maybe pumps working to hard

bfred said:
That shoudn't happen!! maybe you have a line restriction (ie. bent line, clogged fuel filter). or a problem with return line, evap sys, or charcoal canister. Maybe pumps working to hard

Hey that makes sense because today when i was back there listening to it i actually cracked the cap and as the pressure was relieving itself it made a difference in the sound of the whine. So where do you think i should start the search???

Look at the things I suggested, but in the meantime I'd leave the cap a little loose if you have to drive it. If its 96 or newer this will set off the check engine light though. I would be afraid of all that presure building up! I had a similar problem with a camaro years ago turned out to be plugged charcoal canister not returning vapors to eng.

That should impress at the gas station! ;)

It is most likely the evap line, canister, filter, or (if it has one) the solenoid. The pressure and return lines won't cause this. You may even run a bit rich at these times too.

If you don't fill it all the way up until you fix it, it won't spray either.

Skip

Good thing you mentioned the fact that the tank has excessive preasure. It was sounding like a fuel pump until told us about that. Would of sucked to put in a new fuel pump and have the same problem! :smsoap:

Back