• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle noise, or what?

Dfete1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 Xj 4x4 4.0 auto. w/180k and I have a loud roaring noise when I accelerate, or coast and the faster you go the louder it gets. There is also a slight vibration. It sounds like it is coming from the left rear, but I can't find anything wrong. I replaced the u-joints drained and refilled the differential (no noticable wear on teeth), and I don't know what to do. The noise has been there since I purchased the Jeep about 2 years ago and really hasn't got any worse. Any ideas?:gee:

Yes there is play in the wheel. I jacked the rearend up today and each wheel moves in and out albout 1/8". Does that mean the axle bearings are out? Please help I'm planning on getting a lift and have to fix this first.

Mine does the same thing. Mainly under hard accel. I think it is the exhaust. Its a little loose on mine.

Roar/humm, i have that same problem at the moment, its been that way for a while no problems yet, took it to my mechanic had him drive it with me in the jeep and he says sounds like the carrier bearing and two other bearings on the side, can't remember the name of the bearing. Mine also sounded like it was coming from one side and not the other but my wheels are not loose so it sounds like a wheel bearing but it could the bearings on the inner part of the axle/differential case. Just a thought, http://www.quadratec.com/products/52419_53.htm i use these guys for kinda of ideas of what your thinking, would do all the bearings at one time since your in there, but i would check the wheel bearings as well. Hope that helps, let us know what solves the problem.

Drew

Back