• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front bumper reinforcements...

Gaius

NAXJA Forum User
I'll be fabbing a simple tubing bumper with winch mount for my 98. Question is, would it be stronger in the long run to weld up some front unibody reinforments, then fab the bumper to mount through that, or is using a pair of reinforcements as bumper mounts (welded to bumper) sufficient.

I oplogize if this has been rehashed, but I haven't really found an answer, if there is one.

use the bumper mounts as frame reinforcements. that way you 're not welding to the frame, it is the method most aftermarket bumper manufacturers use, and will be the easiest to refit to your next jeep.

I have a different thought.
Plate the front frame rails now and then make your bumper width to accomodate the frame reinfrcements.

When you tear the sheet metal at the steering box and end up welding in reinforcements, you won't have to spread the bumper to fit the new width frame rails.

DaffyXJ said:
I have a different thought.
Plate the front frame rails now and then make your bumper width to accomodate the frame reinfrcements.

When you tear the sheet metal at the steering box and end up welding in reinforcements, you won't have to spread the bumper to fit the new width frame rails.

That's what i was trying to say in my first thought. might be better in the long run, but aftermarket bumpers wouldn't be an option anymore.

Well the bumper just becomes a special order of what ever type you want. Just need to widen the bumper 3/16's on each side.
I had Rusty do that for mine after I plated the rails.

I say build your bumper outa 2 exhaust piping & J.B. weld some brackets to it, than hang a 8000 pound winch and some lights off that baby. don't forget to use those skotch lock terminals to wire up your lights

I almost forgot, make sure you buy all your mounting bolts at the locale hardware store, that way the bumper will break away before you fock up a perfectly good xj frame.

Back