• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I get a "click" when i apply the brakes

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched plenty on this, seems likes everyone says that the ears on the knuckle get worn and allow the pads to move excessively......thus, the "click" when the brakes are applied

BUT, my knuckles are NOT like this and my pads fit very snug on them, so i almost 100% doubt this is my problem

I'm using the Morse ceramic pads from Autozone, new rotors as well, caliper pins are greased and good. I'm almost certain that the click is coming from the front end. When i apply the brakes at relatively low speeds, there is a single "Click!" that sounds like slapping 2 brake pads together......

I've been trying to think what this is, it's driving me NUTS!!! Anyone??

01, 77k, np231

do you have any play in the wheel bearings? pistons in calipers sticking? I'd have somone listen from outside the truck to make sure its not the rears drums can make all kinds of clicking noises, not adj properly, broken springs, parking brake parts...

forgot to say i have zj discs on the rear

^i've read that post a few times before

there's no way the pads are shifting against the knuckles, i actually had to tap the calipers with my mallet to seat the pads in place.....pushing on them wouldn't do it, so i don't see how they could be shifting

now, the sticky caliper piston........the brakes don't click until i give moderate pedal, just a very light pressure doesn't make them click. Could this possibly be the piston getting a little hung up, and them smacking against the back of the pad???

There should always be a slight amount of residual pressure against the pads. Notice when you check properly working brakes the pads are firmly against the rotor-no play? make sure yours are like this. check condition of pistons clean rust off the outsides,make sure the o-ring seals look good and that they compress nice and smooth. use a large c-clamp.you shouldn't have to use a hammer to seat them. How about the o-rings on the slide bolts? sorry just thought of that.When you did the disc conversion, did you use the disk/disk proportioning valve? the residual pressure valves are inside this,drums require different pressure. just some ideas hope they help

Put the front on jack stands spin the front tires by hand, have someone hit the brakes maybe you'll here it that way. Should be able to find it with your ear right next to it

Back