• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap regear for stocker - 3.07 to 4.11 advice needed

Chancer

NAXJA Forum User
At the risk of being flamed for not searching (which I've done), here goes...

I've looked around, and I think I know the answer already, but I'd like to hear it for you all.

Current setup:
DD '93, 180,000 miles, 4.0l, AX15 with 3.07 axles and 235's. The 235s are a bit on the generous size, so let's say they're equivalent to 29-30" tyres. My rear axle (8.25) is decidedly grumbly, which brings me to the dilemma.

I've scored a 93 4 banger donor for much cheapness, and in looking around it seems most likely that it'll have 4.11 axles, and whilst I was thinking about a regear, on account of the old rear axle being on its way out, I'm now wondering if I'll have a bloody hot rod if I go to 4.11 on those tyres!

My intention is to do a budget OME boost, given that I've saved myself a packet by getting this spare jeep, but since the tyres have only done 500 miles I'm not about to cough up for a new set just yet.

Will it be OK for a daily driver? Your advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I swapped my 3.07 axle with 3.54's out of an auto in my 4.0, AX-15 96 Cherokee. I'm running 30" BFG MT tires and I do have a lot of power to the wheels, but I like it that way. I think you will be fine with 4.10 axles and you should be good up to about 32" tires in the future.

Do it !

Wouldn't it be easiest to swap the axles out of the 4 banger on to your rig.
31s with 4:10s would be perfect for off-road and street. The 8.25 driveline would be a little shorter then you would want if you stuck the turdy five under it though. That isn't a real expensive fix though.

Don't assume that the 4 cyl has 4.10 axles....many of them came with 3.73..

Re: Do it !

boise49ers said:
Wouldn't it be easiest to swap the axles out of the 4 banger on to your rig.
That's exactly what I intend to do. It might be a little bit of a PITA as I've got rear disks, but the assembly will swap over OK.

Thanks for the advice. I think it should counter the propane conversion it's got too, from the sound of things - nice and nippy. Looks like a good $90 investment. :)

Last edited:
If the axle bolts right up, do it! I just went from 3.07 to 3.55 and I love it. Youre definately going to be going through the gears more, probly be starting off in 2nd a lot. With that much of a change youre probly going to experience a decrease in gas mileage because even in 5th gear rpms will be higher. It will probly be one of the best bang for the buck performance mods you can make. Not that it increases hp, itll just be faster.

I ended up with 3.73/ 265 tires and am over all happy with them and a 5 speed.
The only time you will see a real reduction in MPG is on the highway. With town/county driving you will just use overdrive at a lower speed. There by ending up the same overall drive ratio (more or less).
For me I may see a small increase in MPG around town. Were I do most of my driving anyway.

Kind of along the same lines, I just regeared my 2.5 MJ from 4.10 to 4.56 this past weekend, via the dual axle swap also. I was worried beforehand that my highway RPM's were going to be awfully high, but did it anyway. Hands down, this has been the BEST mod I've done to it thus far.....it's like driving a totally different vehicle. Like seanyb505 said, I do go thru the gears quicker and get into OD sooner (AX5), and the revs are up some on the highway, but it's waay more responsive now, and I like it. I'm still running the 29" tires that were on it, but will be stepping up to 31-32" shortly, so that will help some with the top end.

Just remember you'll have to swap speedo gears.

Jeff

Here’s some of what you’re in for if you do the axle swaps. Have fun! :)

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=910890

Back