• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 XJ, squeak squeak squeak

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced my front axle u-joints this weekend. I also changed my front brake pads because the old ones were clunking when i hit the brakes (something i caused)

anyways, everything was put back together and all bolts torqued properly............but now i've got a "squeak...squeak...squeak..." as i drive. I'm also positive it's coming from the front end, and the noise completely stops when i hit the brakes. What could this be?

I found an old post by another late-model xj owner who said it was coming from his double cardan on the front shaft, he just greased the shaft up and the noise went away.

So i guess i'll grease the shaft up this weekend, is there anything else i could check??

I got a rock stuck in my dust plate once, and it did that. Also if you put the dust plate back on using thewrong holes or upside down (easy to do sometimes) It will contact the rotor and make allsorts of noise.:puke:

It's not unusual for the dust shield to get bent. Look behind the rotor to see if the dust shield might not be bent in a bit making contact with the rotor.

I just had the same issue changed the u-joint on the driver's side everything torqued back down and after some rain it started squeaking. I took the front DS out no change. I jacked up the drivers side grabbed it @ 12 and 6 and it looks like I have play in the wheel so much to my dismay I'm thinking its the hub. I've had a few hubs go bad but this is the first one that squeaks

well the hubs were good when i changed the u-joints, i left them on the shafts though while i changed the joints

is it possible for the hubs to be bad even if there is no play in them??

thanks for the suggestions

i jacked my jeep up this weekend and did a little listening test............

i can definitely tell that the squeak is coming from the front driver's side wheel, and i think it's the caliper but i'm not sure

when i spin the wheel by hand kinda fast, it'll get the squeak in the same spot every time.............i also noticed that the passenger side is noticeably easier to spin than the driver's side

so i'm thinking it's the pads i put on, or in worst case the caliper........opinions??

i would've pulled the wheel off and checked more, but i lost my wheel lock adapter....lol. :D

I have a loud squeak coming form my right side and I am almost positive it's not my brakes, I checked them out last week. So how much cost/work is it to change a hub? And what would I need to get?

Back