• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Resurection of the Blue Jeep....

StuckonTheDock

NAXJA Forum User
Or why I am asking so many questions of the forum lately!

It all started with a friend of mine giving me an 87 XJ limited (Black Jeep from here on). It didn't run, and was in rough shape with exhaust leaks, 4 different rims, bad interior...everything you'd imagine in a free Jeep.

Soon after, another friend gave me ANOTHER free jeep, an 89 XJ Lorado (Blue Jeep hereafter). Didn't run (of course) and reputed to have a failed tranny. Had it flatbeded 60 miles for parts for Black Jeep.

Got Black Jeep running, and spruced up pretty well. Still ran rough, had the TPS issue with high idle on start and refusal to down-shift. Started leaking down through an injector, into the oil. Then one faithful day I got a call from the wife that she was stuck in the ice, 40 miles away. Lets just say that sheet ice at 34 degrees was an issue that I just wasn't prepaired for, I ended up T-boning a spanking new Chevy. Drove her home with a bent frame and busted radiator. To her credit, she didn't miss a beat as the heater was blowing hot, then cold as what little water left was circulating through.

So the resurection of Blue Jeep became nessicary. I started by pulling all the spark plugs, checking them, then putting about 2 tablespoons of motor oil in the cylinders, as she hadn't been turned over in about 3 years. She fired right up, wouldn't idle for the first 15 minutes or so, but purrs now. Tranny seems to work, but I am told slips out after it gets warm, no issues with it at all yet though.

Things I've fixed so far, mostly through part swaps: Battery terminals (bought em), heater/AC controll unit (yay! blower works now!), Tranny power/comfort switch (source of problems??), Power window/lock controller (driver side).

Things left to fix: Tranny (???), Rear Hatch Latch, Grill, headlight surround, heck, all of the front plastic, it went on Black Jeep before I killed her, Turn signal switch-the worse thing to do so far, as I haven't a clue, the wires are cut within 1/2 inch of the column, the interior...like all XJ's I've seen, she leaks like a sieve, the roof rack-those little grommets are bastards!

There will undoubtedly be more things that pop up, as well. The reality is, I just wanted ya'all to know what I am doing here, my ultimate goal is a moderate trail vehicle with around a three inch lift and bigger than stock wheels. I just want a solid hunting rig that I'll use as a daily driver as well, I love my XJ's!

Aahhh! The infamous "free cherokee" or any auto for that matter. Your doing pretty good so far! Just silicone the grommets and put the rack back on if you still have it.
Just picked up a 90 2 door for $500 and plan on building a good basher out of it.
Have fun and take pic's when you start to build. I love the builds with pic's!
I currently have 3 XJ's and 2 are renix. Everyone just gives those things away!
My 91 I got for $350 but now has a head gasket leak. Too bad cause it's the straightest one I have.
My wife loves them too. When the gasket went out she insisted on buying another XJ and when she saw the 2 door she said "Let's buy this one cause when you fix the 91 the 2 door will make a great wheeler" She's so cool!
Later. Tim.

Last edited:
88xjlover said:
Aahhh! The infamous "free cherokee" or any auto for that matter. Your doing pretty good so far! Just silicone the grommets and put the rack back on if you still have it.

Ha, I like the look with the rack on, but boy do they leak! I have already traded for a stainless rack, a custom jobber that will look way cool, as well as being more practical in the long run. I call it the "burly" rack!!

Go to the top of the oem Tech Discussion (the one were in right now) and look for.....wait I just rechecked, it's under FAQ's under Technical Forums. I wish I could draw in this box!
Dana 44 kinda has a diamond shaped center with the top and bottom of diamond shaved off. The D35 is more egg shaped.
Does it (the 87) have the factory tow package? That's a clue as well.
Man I'm excited and it's not even my rig!:yelclap:

88xjlover said:
Go to the top of the oem Tech Discussion (the one were in right now) and look for.....wait I just rechecked, it's under FAQ's under Technical Forums. I wish I could draw in this box!
Dana 44 kinda has a diamond shaped center with the top and bottom of diamond shaved off. The D35 is more egg shaped.
Does it (the 87) have the factory tow package? That's a clue as well.
Man I'm excited and it's not even my rig!:yelclap:

Post the URL... I looked at it, the "pumpkin" is all rounded, no angles...

Back