• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford 8.8/ 4.88 gear install ???

Smittty9785

NAXJA Forum User
installing new gears and the ring gear is fatter than the stock 3.73 or whatever it was. the retaining bolt or will not fit now. anyone know where to get a notched pinion retainer. i think thats what its called. any help??

Grind the ring gear,then use the search feature(this has been covered many times,dont remember hearing about this on a 8.8 though),then grind the ring gear!!

I was told I needed a notched cross pin. I have it sitting in my garage. It doesn't have a part number though... sorry.

It's a notched cross pin though. Randys R&P should know what you are talking about.

You can use the crosspin you have now.

Line up the ring gear on the carrier so that the space in between the two teeth is over the opening for the crosspin. Use a dremel (or a grinder very carefully) and take material off of the toe (inner end) of the two teeth until you can slide the crosspin in. It won't take much off the corner to slide it in and it won't affect the your pattern or gear strength.

RedHeep said:
You can use the crosspin you have now.

Line up the ring gear on the carrier so that the space in between the two teeth is over the opening for the crosspin. Use a dremel (or a grinder very carefully) and take material off of the toe (inner end) of the two teeth until you can slide the crosspin in. It won't take much off the corner to slide it in and it won't affect the your pattern or gear strength.

thats what I had to do, I'd rather do that than install a weaker cross pin,

you want me to grind down my brand new gears and make them look used? OK GOTCHA!!!

Smittty9785 said:
you want me to grind down my brand new gears and make them look used? OK GOTCHA!!!

sketchy as it may sound, its a fairly common practice. On the toe edge its not going to hurt anything, just take your time and only remove what is needed to fit the pin in. I did it on my C8.25. When I set the gears up I had the pattern dead center on the tooth, and it wasnt even close to touching where I had ground. FWIW if you do decide to go for a clearanced center pin, Randy's ring and pinion and I believe even Summit have them.

Last edited:
Smittty9785 said:

You asked for what to do and I gave you an answer.

The alternative would be spending 40 bucks on a notched crosspin, which in effect is weaker than one that is not notched. I didn't suggest grinding the whole tooth down, just the corner on the toe end.

I considered notching the crosspin myself, but I still couldn't figure out how to get the end of it past the teeth after you got it started because you can't notch the end of the pin.

Or you could google it or search the forums here for the solution (which is what I did when I ran into the same thing 2 months ago) and follow the suggestions of people who've been there.

Last edited:
RedHeep said:
Dammit Kim, you got to me before the edit.

No need to edit. Just a little of the hard truth. If you are going to do a gear install yourself(which I am not brave enough for)you should be ready to expect anything. Even making modifications to a new ring gear. Just my .02.

Kim

any pics at least?

85xjwoody said:
No need to edit. Just a little of the hard truth. If you are going to do a gear install yourself(which I am not brave enough for)you should be ready to expect anything. Even making modifications to a new ring gear. Just my .02.

Kim
BTW im 21 and dont feel like spending money to have someone else do it for me when i actually like to learn first hand. There are two ways to learn. get dirty and ask a few questions doing it yourself. or stick your head in a textbook and rear chapter after chapter.. Yea i got A.D.D cant sit down and read for 6 hours trying to figure out an install. my .02

Smittty9785 said:
any pics at least?

Googled "8.8 gear tooth grinding"

Here's the link:

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?t=88871

aaf.sized.jpg

That's actually more than I ground because I lined the crosspin up between two teeth when I put the ring gear on the carrier. You have to grind two teeth that way, but you don't remove as much material. Go a little at a time, keep checking yourself. You'll have serious nervousness when you do it (I did) but it's really not that bad.

No more fish for you, start casting your own tackle in the water :)

awesome that pic is what i needed to look at just for a little booster. thanks for your help ill get pics of the rig when its rolling soon......

Smittty9785 said:
BTW im 21 and dont feel like spending money to have someone else do it for me when i actually like to learn first hand. There are two ways to learn. get dirty and ask a few questions doing it yourself. or stick your head in a textbook and rear chapter after chapter.. Yea i got A.D.D cant sit down and read for 6 hours trying to figure out an install. my .02

This is the kind of thing you need to research. I had no idea what I was getting into until I read things like Billavista's article on pirate and searched around the forums to learn how to do it.

The more research you do before you start means the less chance you screw up the gears you bought with the little money you have and can't replace because you don't have anymore money. My .02

It is afterall the edge of the tooth. Minimal contact is made there, and it is not a problem. Had to do it to mine.

Back