• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Normal u-joint noise?

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
I have newer front axle u-joints,when under stress like climbing a log or steep hill in 4wd it goes click click when changing directions from forward to reverse and vise versa under load,this anywhere near normal? Makes me feel eneasy when I'm way out in the bush, Thanks! (precision xtra strenght u-joint)

I've never had u-joints click, unless they were going bad.
Serviced them lately?
Sure it's not the driveshaft joints, since you say it happens when you change directions.
Axleshaft u-joints usually make noises when you turn.

I've never heard of a "normal" u-joint noise... maybe a little gear backlash, or tc chain slop...U-joint noise would be a bad thing...

It's the CV socket yoke in the front DS that clicks. Sounds like a roller coaster going up the first hill.

http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

Have had two of these wear out, same noise both times. First time took 3 months to figure out.

Derik

rockwerks said:
How can it take you 3 months to figure it out? It starts to vibrate as soon as it starts to go.........
Does it look like I drive this on the road? The fastest it ever gets is maybe 10 miles an hour on the fire roads.

loaded01a.jpg

Definitely the front u-joints-confirmed last night,getting new ones-good ole napa warranty,funny they don't make noise when turning even spinning in the mud under load at full lock.Thanks for the input

bcmaxx said:
Definitely the front u-joints-confirmed last night,getting new ones-good ole napa warranty,funny they don't make noise when turning even spinning in the mud under load at full lock.Thanks for the input

Did you get play in them?

Also, was it your front wheel u-joints or your front driveshaft u-joints?

montanaman said:
Did you get play in them?
no play at all,the grease that squeezes out is clean

Also, was it your front wheel u-joints or your front driveshaft u-joints?
front wheel

Expanding on this question...

I have a 94 XJ 4.0, when driving in 2wd all is fine, but when 4wd is engaged (hi or low) i hear a clicking/squeaking sound from the front end (hub area) when I turn. Does the 94 xj disconnect the front drive axles from the hubs when in 2wd? If so that would explain not hearing noise from u-joints in 2wd. If not, I'd like input as to what you all would think the noise could be.

No, the 94's front axle is always spinning the shafts.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd figure that the reason you hear noise when 4wd is engaged is that there is now pressure/torque being applied to the u-joints; when in 2wd, they're just drifting along with no real power being applied to them.

:)

XJPhoenix said:
No, the 94's front axle is always spinning the shafts.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd figure that the reason you hear noise when 4wd is engaged is that there is now pressure/torque being applied to the u-joints; when in 2wd, they're just drifting along with no real power being applied to them.

Amazing how that works, isn't it? Front shafts spin all the time, complain more when they're made to transfer torque rather than just come along for the ride. I had the same thing going on before I had to replace my axleshaft joints. Couldn't hear much but the occasional pop going around corners in 2wd, but put it in 4wd and you'd hear AND feel the clicking and popping noises underfoot.

It is amazing what makes noise one day and one way, then changes the next.

I'll tell y'all one thing; when I got my first Jeep, I learned very quickly to just ignore certain squeaks, rattles, groans and thumps. Before that, I was the kind of guy who had to track down EVERY noise. *L*

Now I just assume if it isn't leaking, rumbling, rattling or creaking it's going to be really expensive.

Back