• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Confused on speedometer pinion gear

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Ok... So I have a 87' Chief, D44 in the rear, automatic. I take it, it has the 3.55 gears already right? I'm running 31/10.5/15 tires... Now on Go-Jeep's site it looks like I need the 32 teeth count speedo gear for it to be re-calibrated to where it should be with the lift, correct?

But, below where it gives the part numbers... for my year there is no 32 teeth count and it says that the 32 count for 93+ is a short shaft and mine would be long shaft correct? So... what speedo gear am I supposed to be running for it to be calibrated correctly? I'm not going to be running bigger tires or re-gearing anytime soon... I would like to get this part asap so I can fix my speedometer problem... So, a definitive answer would be great. Which speedo gear do I need for my 87' Chief? I'm just a little confused...Also, what is the electrical wire that plugs into the speedo cable housing that screws into the transfercase? I need to get a new one from a donor vehicle... long story short, I jacked mine up and pried it open now it doesn't shut all the way... thanks!

P.S. I have searched about the speedo gear but am confused...

That hardly has anything to do with my question and problem...thanks for letting us know you got a GPS because your cable went out....

GPS can give you the m.p.h. But, it doesnt do much for the tail shaft question. I think you may also have 3.54 gears, dont know if that will change anything or not.

Bdiddy11 said:
That hardly has anything to do with my question and problem...thanks for letting us know you got a GPS because your cable went out....
He's using the GPS for a speedometer. He could have put it a better way, but get used to responses like that.

Give 4WD a call 800 555-3353. They can help you out on the gear.

As far as the wire goes, I wasn't aware that the '87 had an electronic p/u for the speedometer. On the '96+ that's what that wire would be.

I realize he's using GPS for his speedo... but still doesn't help with my problem so what's the point of even answering with that? I'll get a picture of it so you get what I mean with the wires that plug into the speedo cable housing that screws into the transfer case (currently at work so I wont have a pic right away)...But as far as the speedo gear on Go-Jeep's site... I don't see any 32 count under the 87-90 years... or even the 27 count for the 3:07 gears...

Bdiddy11 said:
I realize he's using GPS for his speedo... but still doesn't help with my problem so what's the point of even answering with that? I'll get a picture of it so you get what I mean with the wires that plug into the speedo cable housing that screws into the transfer case (currently at work so I wont have a pic right away)...But as far as the speedo gear on Go-Jeep's site... I don't see any 32 count under the 87-90 years... or even the 27 count for the 3:07 gears...

Take it easy, not everybody is going to answer with what you're looking for.

Have you verified how far off the speedometer is? Strangely enough, with 31's and 3.54's, my speedometer was more accurate than with stock tires.

Try to find yourself one of those police radar things or borrow someone's GPS. You might be trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

Between 10-40mph my speedometer needle has a 10mph bounce... so if I'm going say 35 it will bounce from between 30-40mph... Right now I have no speedo cable or housing under my Jeep. I can't tell how fast i'm going atm because my cable jacked itself all out of whack and unraveled itself in the housing and wont pull out either end so I have to get one from a donor vehicle. Seeing as how i'm getting a new speedo cable/housing I would like to fix the gear while i'm down there as well to show closer to my actualy speed. On average it's at least 7mph off until I get above 45 and then it starts to stay steady... for the most part.

The problem w/ speedo bouncing is from the bad cable. 3.54,s w/31's should not be that far off at low speeds. because you've effectively changed final drive ratio the faster you go the farther off it will be, at 65 mph mines probably 6-7 mph off. lower speeds hardly noticable. same gears/tires.

:wow:
Bdiddy11 said:

I'm sorry I offended you I will never reply to any more of your treads.

ninner said:
:wow:

I'm sorry I offended you I will never reply to any more of your treads.
... I also heard you can use one of those to locate someone who doesn't appreciate your help to within 75" of where they're standing!:flame:

bfred... I don't think it would be hard to locate someone 75" (inches) away... like you said...

Anyone else run 31" tires on an older Cherokee (87-90) that switched gears? If so, what gear(tooth count) did you buy so your speedo isn't off so much? Thanks!

Before you go whole-hog on your quest for a 32-tooth you may just want to verify that you really have 3.55s. An 87 auto should, but that's no guarantee.

Bdiddy11 said:
for my year there is no 32 teeth count and it says that the 32 count for 93+ is a short shaft and mine would be long shaft correct?

If memory serves, doesn't GoJeep's site go on to explain how to transplant the long shaft onto the new gear from your old one? The shafts can be swapped.

I know I saw it somewhere - if I turn it up, I'll post back.

Rob

Bdiddy11 said:
bfred... I don't think it would be hard to locate someone 75" (inches) away... like you said...

Anyone else run 31" tires on an older Cherokee (87-90) that switched gears? If so, what gear(tooth count) did you buy so your speedo isn't off so much? Thanks!

Theoretically (I say theoretically) your speedometer should be off 5 mph at 60 mph. So if you're going 55, your speedometer says 60.

The reason I say theoretically is because there have been several cases I've read about here in the forums where guys are running 31's on stock gears and the speedometer has been spot on. This group includes me.

Do you read the posts or just babble about what you think is wrong and ignore the advice?

Do yourself a favor. Fix the cable. Make sure your speedometer works correctly. Take it for a drive and verify how far off the speedometer actually is. Then work the problem or calculate what speedo gear you need.

I drove around for almost two years with 31's and 3.55's in my 4.0/auto and everytime (Everytime :)) I drove past one of those police radar stations, my speedo was dead nuts on. Then I checked it with the GPS and I think it was 1 or 2 mph off at 65 mph. You can't even read the needle to that accuracy.

I do read people's advice. But I figured since I would be down there replacing the speedometer cable + housing I might as well put in the right gear so it is calibrated correctly. I'm tired of seeing my needle playing a fast verison of Pong between 25-35. I rarely see police radar stations and i'm not about to go driving around town to find one...It's hard to have a lead foot these days with gas prices going up and riding 4.5" high on 31's...Just not as zippy as a car.

Back