• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Back Hatch Electrical Problems?

mumpy42

NAXJA Forum User
Okay. First the hatch won't open, but as I understand, that's a common problem and an easy fix. But allow me to rattle off a few other problems and maybe someone that knows more than me, could find an easy solution.
1998 xj sport
1. Keyless entry will lock all doors, except the hatch
2. Rear back up lights won't work
3. Rear wiper and washer won't work
4. Rear defroster won't work.
On another note the foglights won't work either. The cigerette lighters both work, but none of the three switches in between the lighters work, and when you flip them, the little lights don't go on either.
Also the fan only works on full blast. I've checked all fuses. Has anyone had any of these problems and been able to find a solution for them? Anyone, please, :helpme: .

Keyless entry/hatch - Open up and check wire harness connections and hatch/handle linkages. Lubricate the mechanisms and linkages.

Foglights - There is a fog fuse under the hood also. Open the relay box on the passenger fender and check the fuses. The fog switch may need to be removed and cleaned.

Backup lamps - The Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) may need to be adjusted.

Wiper/defroster - sounds like a blown fuse or loose wire harness connection.

97+ Jeep Cherokee Fuse Info - http://www.fivezerofive.com/main/index.php?itemid=319

I have a 2000XJ...haven't had the problems that you listed...but you might want to check to see if the circuits for the things you listed share a common ground point...all of the things in your list (except the fog lights) are in the back part of your Jeep.

Do you have access to wiring diagrams? If you do, you can tell if all those things share a comman ground point.

thebrick said:
I have a 2000XJ...haven't had the problems that you listed...but you might want to check to see if the circuits for the things you listed share a common ground point...all of the things in your list (except the fog lights) are in the back part of your Jeep.

Do you have access to wiring diagrams? If you do, you can tell if all those things share a comman ground point.

X2 on the ground, I think the latch/pin assamply is a ground when the hatch is closed, if rusty, take some sandpaper/wirebrush and clean it up spray some monkey piss (WD-40) on it. Check the wires at the top near the hindges for damage. Because all of your problems are all located in the hatch I suspect the problem lies there, I am 85% sure it is a ground.

Like the thebirck said get access to wiring diagrams, if you don't go buy a hanyes book WELL WORTH THE MONEY or better yet a Jeep Service Manual OR BOTH.

The fog lights I am sure are a different story, I am not sure but I think the fog lights use a relay change it if it does not work just return it. Now if the relay does not fix it take the bulbs out and test with a tester/mulitmeter, if no luck still check the ground.

Good Luck!!!
Keep us posted

Last edited:
The fact that your switches don't light up leads me to believe you have no power. confirm this at the switch connections w/ test light first. this will isolate the problem to either before or after the switches-first step.If you have power there next step go to the wiring connectors for each accessory and again check for power. Make sure test light is properly grounded (direct to battery if possible). If you have power to all accsys. now check grounds to each acc. by reversing test light (ie. put test light on pos. bat terminal and check the point where each acc. grounds. Hatch should have a bolted on ground between hatch & body. If you are blowing fuses, disconnect wiring plug between hatch & body so that you can isolate the problem between body or hatch... good luck!!! Also blower motor could be unrelated sounds like resistor pack,do a search someone did a write up to fix for 99 cent (worked on my truck)

Mumpy42, I'm having a similar problem with the rear hatch on a 97 Sport I just purchased. I plan on working on it tomorrow. If I figure anything out, I'll let you know.

I'm having a similar problem with my fog light switch, which I posted here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=906137. (Not trying to hijack the thread, just hoping some of you electrical gurus can take a look at it.)

Okay so just for giggles I check the liscence plate light, and that isn't working either. So there is no power going to the back hatch. I checked the wiring and everything looks fine. The main plug (if that's what it is) loos secure and clean. I know a lot of you said it's most likely the ground. Is there a way to get a wiring diagram online or does someone happen to know where the ground for the back hatch is located so I could check it? How do you check it? What should I be looking for?

Thanks for all your help, Clueless

PS Fog lights were a fuse. Duh me.

not sure if its the ground for the stuff you mentioned but theres a groung located behind the plastic panel where the spare tire is supposed to be but i think ya gotta get the hatch opened to get the cover off. ive read on here about removeing the nuts that hold the latch(catch) located behind the bumper. on my 98 i have to push in alittle to get the latch to release (apply inward pressure before i lift the handle)

Back