• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket engine mounts needed?

Gaius

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to be replacing the engine mounts in my 98 Sport. Now, my wheeler is a TJ with a 4 cylinder and I've never worried about the stock rubber style engine mounts. In my old 88 XJ I also replaced with stock mounts. But this 98 XJ I'm going to be putting on 35s, and possibly a doubler setup in a few years.

Are aftermarket engine mounts worth the money? Napa mounts: 40.00. MORE mounts: 125.00.

What has been your experience?

With the doubler, I would definitely suggest poly mounts.

I did the MORE poly mounts in mine and have been happy with them so far...you'll notice the vibrations more but the throttle response and general rigidity of the driveline is great.

isn't MORE also making a rubber style now?

here it is...
JM600....1987-2001 Jeep® XJ Cherokee 4.0L, 1987-2005 Wrangler (YJ* and TJ). This mount is IDEAL for XJ Cherokee owners where the unitized body is known for transmitting vibration from the engine (with polyurethane style motor mounts). This "Torsion" Rubber style mount will clamp the engine in place far better then the stock junk mounts do, however, they will not transmit vibration like polyurethane mounts do! $129.50/pair

Last edited:
I just put the M.O.R.E mounts in my heep and they do vibe a little bit at idle and there is a little bit more engine noise. They did quiet down and vibe a little less after a couple of weeks all in all I am very happy. If you happen to have a TC drop make sure you take it out before you out them in otherwise it's nearly impossible to get things lined up. Other than that it is a pretty straight forward install.

I use to have a Klune-V/Atlas II combo in my '95 and can tell you stock mounts are not good enough. I switched to the rubber MORE Bombproof mounts and they worked great. I reccomend them to anyone who replaces there mounts. There is a slight increase in vibration but the solid feeling of the mounts when shifting and in low or compound low is well worth it. Make sure you also have a well designed mounting set-up for your doubler at the trans/underdrive/transfer case. You need to limit movement there also. A set of LCA bushings on a crossmember type support mounted to the trans/underdrive/transfer case and then mounted to the stock or custom crossmember that runs from frame rail to rail is the best set-up I found.

With the MORE bombproof, do you also replace the engine block mount?
Reason I ask, I just put on a set of poly mounts, or really half a set, yesterday. On my 01, the drivers side engine mount is notched, and the poly mount would not fit in deep enough to allow the through bolt to engage.
I had my choice, mod the engine block mount, mod the poly bushing or toss the OEM one back in. After many hours dickin with the tranny mount and then the passenger side mount I took the easy way to end the day. Yep, you guessed it, tossed the stock one back in.
But I do want to change it still.

They are complete replacements.

10.jpg

I've read alot of write-ups on the poly mounts and 90% of the people said that you have to shave some of the poly mount so it will fit correctly and that is the reason that I went with the M.O.R.E. mounts

I didn't have to shave/grind anything to get the poly ones in, but it wasn't an easy task either. Lots of prying and pushing to get everything lined back up properly.

The stock drivers side one came out in 3 pieces though, so stuff was all kinds of f'd up to begin with.

I didn't have any problems dropping the MORE mounts in my 99. They dropped right into place without too much trouble.

I did and still notice a HUGE amount of vibration though. I'm definitely looking into the rubber mounts now...

DaffyXJ said:
With the MORE bombproof, do you also replace the engine block mount?
Reason I ask, I just put on a set of poly mounts, or really half a set, yesterday. On my 01, the drivers side engine mount is notched, and the poly mount would not fit in deep enough to allow the through bolt to engage.
I had my choice, mod the engine block mount, mod the poly bushing or toss the OEM one back in. After many hours dickin with the tranny mount and then the passenger side mount I took the easy way to end the day. Yep, you guessed it, tossed the stock one back in.
But I do want to change it still.

For the poly mounts you will have to grind some off the engine mount bracket. This is not a problem with the rubber mounts. The rubber mounts are a direct R&R. I've run both types. The Rubber mounts will hold up to almost anything you can throw at them with the XJ.

Bones :skull1:

Guess I need to state why I'm changing them. My drive train used to twist a solid 2 inches when I'd drop it into 4 low. poly mounts were to lessen the flex in the motor and tranny.
Finished the tranny mount and passenger side motor poly install last night. As mentioned went back to stock mount on driver side (till I get a mount that will slide in without modifying the engine block bracket). The whole thing quieted down, T-Case (Atlas 4 speed) is flexing only about 1/8 inch down in reverse. Much Better.

but I dont want to get a butt massage when I drive around.
====================================
The old lady might like it as fare as that goes. :)

seanyb505 said:
How bad is the vibration of the MORE bombproof mount? I dont need to have a Lexus ride, but I dont want to get a butt massage when I drive around.

With poly mounts the vibration is quite a bit more than stock. Don't know about the MORE rubber mounts, but being rubber it has to be much better than the poly. With a stroker and 4 to 1 I'm living with the poly mounts, but next time I'd do the rubber.

So Im not the only one with questions....

If stock mounts come with rubber and they dont vibrate as much wouldn't it be better to go with the MORE rubber mounts. I just busted my bushings so Im intrested in some new one as well, but Im doing research and i dont think Ill buy the polys.

How about Currie, what do they use? Any experiances with those?

Goatman said:
With poly mounts the vibration is quite a bit more than stock. Don't know about the MORE rubber mounts, but being rubber it has to be much better than the poly. With a stroker and 4 to 1 I'm living with the poly mounts, but next time I'd do the rubber.

I don't know about the poly ones, but the MORE rubber ones give a little more vibe at idle, and are very close to OEM once you're moving. I also noted that they softened up slightly after a couple hundred miles.

Rob

TNT said:
They are complete replacements.

10.jpg

Get these... End of story... I have had them for 4 years or so.

They are the best mount made IMHO. They eliminate engine movement, fit great, and have only a slight increse in vibration(hardly noticeable).

seanyb505 said:
How bad is the vibration of the MORE bombproof mount? I dont need to have a Lexus ride, but I dont want to get a butt massage when I drive around.

Significant in that you know that they are there, but not anything like a broken motor mount would be. Less than a bad case of torsional vibes on a drive shaft. It is hard for me to quantify how much more since it's been so long since I ran stock mounts, and I went through poly mount before the rubber ones. The rubber ones have about half the vibes of the poly ones at idle. I think I feel more front axle vibes down the highway because of the MTR's and a double heimed trackbar set up than I feel from the engine with the bombproof rubber mounts. Vibes will be most noticeable with the AC on at idle, less at idle-AC off, and hardly at all over 1500 rpm. If you are going to run a stroker, in the mud, in the rock, or are hard on the skinny pedal I would do the mounts. They will be cheaper than a new radiator.

Sometimes a butt massage is just a butt massage

Bones :skull1:

Back