• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS in the way.

SLAYER

NAXJA Forum User
Besides getting rid of my 97 with ABS, what can i do to install a snorkle?
Obviously the ABS module is in the way, and im not sure of getting into that mess of yanking it out and re-working all the lines. What exactly would this intale? If i did this operation of insanity?
:variety:

There is a snorkel available that requires removal of the Washer fluid container in the top of the fender through a hole that's cut near the ecu, running the air tube in it's place, therefore bypassing the abs unit...

this does block the addition of a second battery in that location though...

also if you are going to change out the D35 for a better axle, you will probably be loosing the ABS anyways, since it doesn't do much good with larger tires

(I'm changing out to an 8.8 and am just removing the abs altogether)

The ARB safari snorkel will fit with ABS, the Airflow snorkle will not. There is a significant price increase for the ARB unit and I don't like the cherokee's ABS anyway so you know which I would choose.

I would say that if you find yourself in a situation in which you are in need of a snorkel,....ABS isnt gonna help out much anyway. My Xj wasnt even built with ABS and i have yet to lock up the brakes.....I would much rather have the ability to not fill my engine with water.When driving in Houston ...on the streets...during a rainstorm. :D

I should have added this.
Its been lifted for about 3 years now with a 5.5 RE XD. with 33's.
Both axles have been replaced with ones i already geared. So the ABS has been bypassed. Fuses and all. All the brake lines in their normal place. The only thing i had to do was take the fuses out and disconnect the ABS wires from the axles and zip them out of the way. I can stop on a dime now.
But, ive got the module still in there. Blocking and crowding things. How much of a pain in the arse is it to take it out and reroute the lines non-ABS.
Anyone have any specs? or pics between a 97 with ABS, and one without.
Or am i fubar'd? LOL

I think you can just remove the ABS garbage and plumb some new lines down to your prop valve. I need to do the same, don't want a snorkel but don't really need that mess of shit in there either.

Word BlueCuda, I wonder if there is anyway of salvaging the lines that are in there. Finding good lines from a 97 might be a nightmare. Or at least plumbing them in. Either way, it wont be easy. Fooking ABS!!!

I need to do the same on my 98.

Can the brakelines be removed from the ABS controller and connected together? Or is it worth making up all new lines?

Also, there is a plug into the ABS controller from the ECU or somewhere, is un-plugging this when removing the ABS controller going to cause Check Engine Light or other problems?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

The check engine light will not come on. The ABS light will.
All u have to do is pull the fuses for the ABS module. Unplug it.
I work at Jeep and have asked if the brake system would still work properly. Been driving like this for 3 years now. Brakes work great.

I would have to see the line routing on the non ABS XJ's.
We could just leave it in there, since it doesnt matter except for space issues.
But we know its in there.

Back