• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford oil filter for 4.0L?

nitejohn

NAXJA Forum User
Someone told me you can use purolator ford oil filters on Jeep 4.0L engines. And as far as that goes, if you can use puroltor brand then any ford type should work. (FL1A?) Anybody else hear this? They're a lot bigger, which should help with more oil capacity. but I'm wondering if the thread and sealing ring are compatable.
I have 2 Jeeps with the 4.0L, a 96 ZJ with 112,000, and a 99 XJ with 104,000, I've been using valvoline 10w30 maxlife, and adding a quart of maxlife synthetic, to make my own "blend", with purolator or wix filters. They both run smooth and quiet, and have great pressure readings, I just can't "leave well enough alone".

Yup the motorcraft FL-1A works, use 6.5 quarts of oil

I'm using the upsize mobil 1 M301 filter right now

any of these will work with a 91+ XJ

AC-Delco PF2

Fram PH-8A

Motorcraft FL-1A

Mobil1 M301

Purolator PER1A

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/filter.html

Check that out, thats where I got the info from

No problems

I put it in from the top and its a little harder to wedge in there but once its down its fine

Anyone know if the Wix 51515, or Motorcraft FL-1A will fit fine into a 2001? Simple question. Thanks

I noticed using napa filters the difference between their cheap one and the "select" one seems to be some sort of check valve inside. I always kind of figured maybe this was to keep oil from draining back out of the filter being its mounted upside down. If I'm right the ford filter probably wouldn't have this. I could be wrong but it seems like I get pressure faster on start up with the select filter - or maybe its just in my head?

For the Renix owners watching, the FL-1A filters won't work for you since the non-HO engines had metric threads on the oil filter adapters. You could switch oil filter adapters from an HO engine, though.

Xeno said:
Anyone know if the Wix 51515, or Motorcraft FL-1A will fit fine into a 2001? Simple question. Thanks
Yes. The link above goes to my page, and while re-reading it I realized it probably could use some clarification. If you've got the 4.0L HO engine (1991+) then you can swap in the larger filter.

There are some clearance issues with the starter and the larger filter; either drop a clean shop rag over the starter or pull the negative terminal when changing the oil to prevent arcing when you drop the filter. Don't forget to unplug your oil pressure sender first.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Sense it was mentioned about a ZJ a 4.0ltr should be fine for running the Ford 5.0ltr filter, but if you have the 5.2ltr (318), or the 5.9ltr (360) I wouldn't run try it. The way the filter mounts on the v8's looks for sure to have interference (with the bigger filter) with the upper control arm if you where to stuff the right tire real good.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=391455&postcount=9

Made by Wix. The Wix crossover number is 51773. Going on 5 years or so running these.

Part Number: 51773
UPC Number: 765809517738
Principal Application: Ford Trucks, Massey-Ferguson Tractors, Oliver Tractors, VW Eurovan (93-95)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 6.982
Outer Diameter Top: 3.663
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Burst Pressure-PSI: 225
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micro Rating: 30

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

1049_1.JPG

lawsoncl said:
For the Renix owners watching, the FL-1A filters won't work for you since the non-HO engines had metric threads on the oil filter adapters. You could switch oil filter adapters from an HO engine, though.

On the Renix, pre-91/HO engines, You can also just change out the male pipe nipple from a metric to the 3/4" thread nipple (just buy the pipe nipple for the newer, HO, oil filter adapter, 91 model from the dealer) and reuse the Renix oil filter adapter. Be sure to replace the 3 o' rings on the adapter if you pull the adapter.

I reused the Renix oil filter adapter on mine and just swapped out the pipe nipple 5 weeks (2-9-07) ago on mine (using Yuccamans web site details) and left mine in the vertical, OEM possition. I am using the K & N filter #HP-3001, which I trust a lot more than most of the others after reading about all the little issues in most of the other brands.

And many Thanks! To Yucca-Man for so generously sharing all the juicy details of his filter adapter / filter upgrade exploites on his website!

ECKSJAY said:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=391455&postcount=9

Made by Wix. The Wix crossover number is 51773. Going on 5 years or so running these.

Part Number: 51773
UPC Number: 765809517738
Principal Application: Ford Trucks, Massey-Ferguson Tractors, Oliver Tractors, VW Eurovan (93-95)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 6.982
Outer Diameter Top: 3.663
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
http://www.nmfrc.org/ateww.cfm

Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Burst Pressure-PSI: 225
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micro Rating: 30
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

WIX is well known in the industrial filter market, so it should be a great filter too.

But This value: By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Bothers me for some reason!

I thought the bypass was to avoid over pressuring the filter if it clogged, and that most of them bypassed at 80 psi? Is the 8 a typo that should be 80 -110?

XJ5 said:
I found somewhere that supertech filters are made by champion labs, does anyone know if they're any good?
Doesn't matter who it's made by they are junk. Walmart farms them out to whoever can make them the cheepest, and that who makes them. Even if they where made by WIX, or K&N they are still not going to be made like there top of the line filters. It's simple, as cheep as possable.

Looks like I'm reviving an old thread here but the subject line works.

Will the Ford Racing FL1A work on a stock 4.0, or is the internal bypass/drainback valving set too high, intended for racing applications with much higher oil pressure?

Back