• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

disable remote start help

srimes

NAXJA Forum User
When I got my 99 xj a week ago I notice a sticker when I opened the hood that it had a remote start system. I didn't get any remote for it or anything. Also, there's a little on/off switch under the dash on the driver's side that doesn't seem to do anything.

Anyway, I'm on a trip for an interview 300 miles from home. When I get 200 miles away and stop for gas the jeep started acting up. I filled it up and put the key in to check and reset the trip odometer, then went inside for a drink. Came out and noticed the check engine light was on, even though the key was out. It started fine, but the light stayed on, so I thought I'd try turning it off and restarting it. But it wouldn't turn off. Accessorys turned off, but it kept on idling. So I drove the rest of the way with the check engine light on, and it ran fine and the guages were fine, but it wouldn't shut off. So after I got to the hotel and checked in (left the jeep ideling) I found which fuse to pull from under the hood to make it shut off. Not the most graceful way to turn your car off, mind you. I don't know if one of the fuses inside would do anything as they aren't labled and I don't have the manual and didn't feel like trying every one.

Also, it rained before this problem showed up, and the jeep leaks, so that may possible be a contributing factor, but I kinda doubt it.

Anyone know how to disable the remote start crap? Or fix it and get a new remote for it? It might be nice to have if it'll work and be reliable. I guess I can try to trace it out when I get home, but some clues as to where to look would be nice.

p.s. my wife is getting me a NAXJA membership for my birthday, so I'll turn red soon.

Might have nothing to do with remote start. Sounds like you turned the key to the run position while the gas cap was off. If so you may have set the check engine light by doing so. All obdII vehicles (96 and newer) moniter the evap system for leaks, with gas cap off system is no longer sealed. Some discount auto parts stores will run codes for free (pep boys etc.). Check it out, can't remember the code number but it will say something like "evap sys open" must be cleared with scanner. as for the remote start find the brain box for it (usually under dash by steering column) it will have a brand and part # on it. Do a search online for the brand, should be able to find info on what remote you need. There all over e-bay and some include instructions on how to program them. If not a stereo shop will program it cheap for you. You'll like the remote start once you start useing it, I wouldn't take it out if it still works properly

I'm sorry just reread your post, not sure if you ment ck eng light or truck wouldn't shut off. If it continues to run with the key off usually hitting the brakes will shut it off. A safety feature of remote starts. keep people from stealing vehicle while its running.

Remote Start modules don't usually have a very long life, We remove more than we install, I get a shiver down my spine whenever someone brings there car in and says "My remote start isn't working "

Ok, I pulled the remote start box out, a Valet unit. Inplugged all the wires running to it (a lot), and it's acting the same. So I guess it isn't to remote start box, but maybe some of the wireing shorted out or something.

What could it be? The ignition switch? A stuck relay?

Back