• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 center pin HeLp

little red cheroke

NAXJA Forum User
axle: 31sp Ford 8.8/disc brakes/4.10s/factory LSD

while removing (trying to atleast) my shafts, i was tryin to remove the center pin, so i grabbed my 8mm wrench and started crankin on the little bolt that holds the center pin in. well, that little bolt broke...what the hek do i do now?

thanks

You need to get it out. I'm asuming that you have never removed a broken bolt befor. Different options to try here are some. Take a small pick or punch and see if can get it to back-out counter-clockwise. Tap the punch with a small hammer. Try this with heat if you have it. If you are real good with a welder you can center a small nut over what you have left and tack it then back the nut with the stud. You can get a special revers drill bit and drill it. Broken bolts can be a real pain but most times they are not that hard to get out without ruining your threads especially if no rust is involved.
If this rear end is not installed you can allways let a machine shop or major repair facility drill it and chase the threads. They do this all the time and it will be pretty fast and not expensive.

ill prolly take it to a machine shop. the bolt broke in half so theres really no way to weld a nut to it. fortunatly (sp?) the axle isnt n the jeep yet. how to i get the carrier out to take to the machine shop if i cant remove the shafts? is there really no other way than to haul this heave mo fo to a shop? ive never sucessfully removed a broken bolt....i completly drilled through and tapped the rear shock mounts, buddy of mine had a passenger side engine mount sheer off the block....broke off a craftsman screw extractor inside the block. that was fun.

go to a good auto parts store (car quest,napa...not auto zone)
they may have a special extractor for this. it has a sleeve that threads into the hole the bolt lives in with a hole in the center, long drill bit,ez-out
i payed like $20 for mine a couple years ago from napa. it makes the job real easy. the cross pin bolt breaking is a fairly common problem.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DIFFERENTIAL-EXTRACTOR-TOOL-KIT-GM-FORD-EASY-REPAIR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33731QQitemZ120094253150QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
heres one of the tools im talking about

Last edited:
Back