• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Your bump stops....

cwlongshot

NAXJA Forum User
I am curious. How did you guys with larger lifts extend yours? Mine is on a MJ with about 6" of lift, running 33" tars.

Mjon33s6-06IVIII.jpg

I used hockey pucks in the front. I just drilled holes in the centers and drilled and tapped a hole in the center of the lower spring perch. Bolted them in with a 3/8" bolt.

I just tonight made up some extentions for the rear. I used some 1 1/2 X 1/4" flat steel and some 1.25" Dia X 1/16"wall tubing. I welded it all together so it looked like the roman numerial 2. Here is a pic.

Rearbumpstopextentions.jpg

I'd like to see/read, how/what you did.

OH yea, Incase you are wondering, I used a towmoter at work to flex out the truck. then I measured to get the proper the "bumpstopage". ;)

CW

Last edited:
I have an extension off the u-bolt plate in the rear and kept the stock bumpstomp on the frame. If you search you will find something similar.

cwlongshot said:
I am curious. How did you guys with larger lifts extend yours? Mine is on a MJ with about 6" of lift, running 33" tars.

Mjon33s6-06IVIII.jpg

I used hockey pucks in the front. I just drilled holes in the centers and drilled and tapped a hole in the center of the lower spring perch. Bolted them in with a 3/8" bolt.

I just tonight made up some extentions for the rear. I used some 1 1/2 X 1/4" flat steel and some 1.25" Dia X 1/16"wall tubing. I welded it all together so it looked like the roman numerial 2. Here is a pic.

Rearbumpstopextentions.jpg

I'd like to see/read, how/what you did.

OH yea, Incase you are wondering, I used a towmoter at work to flex out the truck. then I measured to get the proper the "bumpstopage". ;)

CW

Damn brother...that a buttload of pump-stop! Maybe some trim work is in order? :dunno:

I am spring under, so the lower plates are a bit harder to fation...... Ideally I know I should extend BOTH upper and lower contact points. Its just not easily done on my setup......

Jump this,
Trimming how??? I have the front and rear fenders trimmed to with in a inch of thier lives!!!

DSdone.jpg

DSrearcut.jpg

TrimmedWpieceremovd.jpg

Trimmedandholesdrilled.jpg

PinchseamDS.jpg

CW

Last edited:
sorry to be off topic but you said you are still spring under in the rear, right? if so what springs(leaf/shackle combo are you running). My brother has a MJ and is wanting to go higher but maybe stay spring under.

thanks
lincoln

BINGO!! It is a RUSTYS 4" leaf packs in my MJ. So far so god, they ride nice and flex well! Keeping my fingers crossed.....thats the biggest reason for this post!!

Well,
I got them in today...MAN was it HOT!!!!!

I only twisted off one bolt too!!! I decided to tack weld it, as well, anyhow. The factory bolts where mighty small IMHO....6MM. :eek: In the extentions, I drilled the same sized holes as in the bump stops them selves, 3/8". So a tack weld on each end will help alot.

BumpstopI.jpg

Bumpstop.jpg

Myrearbumpstops.jpg

They look close in the pics, but in reality there is about 5" available, before contact with the bump stop is made. Then there is however much the stop itself compresses.

Tomorrow I'll add some hockey pucks up front and that little project is done!!!

CW

Sure does look like you could have give it more than 5" of up travel. Pics are deciving at times. Are you planning on bolting on some monster meats or something?

sorry to be off topic but ive seen so many mjs with the shocks in front of the rear axle, am i the only one with them in the stock position, is there an advantage to this

Haleyes said:
Sure does look like you could have give it more than 5" of up travel. Pics are deciving at times. Are you planning on bolting on some monster meats or something?

Just 33's..... My biggest worry is that I got these springs from RUSTYS. I have ZERO faith in anything this company produces. The only saving grace is that he does NOT manufacture springs, he outsources them. I do not want to overflex them so they bend.

I carefully measured before I built the extentions. Once I finish the fronts, I'll go back to the tow moter and flex it out again. THAT will show if I done measured right!!

CW

Back