• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High pitched whine from front left wheel

gone postal

NAXJA Forum User
Haven't driven my XJ in 5 months with one exception about 5 weeks ago when I took it for a quick mud bath. Two weeks ago was the "remove crap Bendix ABS system for '96 booster setup" and last week was "install 3" lift and 31" tires". Today I replaced front rotors & pads b/c I found out last week that they were shot. So, it's finally ready for the road and I took it out for a quick shakedown.

Well, about 3miles from home I started hearing this noise when I slowed down b/c someone was turning. It is very evident up to 30mph and at that point I think that road noise, wind, etc just overpowers it. It starts from a slight creep and doesn't stop. It even continues when I'm pressing the brake. It sounds like it could be brake squeek - almost rubbing friction - but then again, I'm thinking maybe it's wheel bearings?!? I've never had them go out, so I have no idea what they sound like. Everything is tight underneath. I had to hammer old rotors off b/c they had rusted to studs and center, so I don't know if that could have affected bearings, etc?

Tomorrow's plan is to jack up that tire and turn by hand to listen better, but was just looking for ideas or troubleshooting tips b/c I didn't see anything of use in my Haynes manual.

Back