• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aal on new leaf

canadian_xj

NAXJA Forum User
Seeing as most people think aal's suck, I was wondering if they would be any better if they were added to a brand new stock leaf spring.

Would that make a difference or is it better to just get a lifted spring?

The only reason that I am asking is, were I live, there is no good places to get aftermarket stuff and to have it shipped is crazy expensive.

I just want to get about 2" of lift and I need to replace my front and rear springs as well as my shocks. I think most of the suspension is orginal and my XJ is a '91 w/108k.

I was gonna go for a 3" but I rarely get the heep offroad.

Thanks. Kris

if you are just going for 2 inches, and are going to buy all new leaf packs locally, i would just get some shackles myself. you can get a kit from teraflex and some others pretty cheap that have the 2 inch spacers for the front and the 2 inch lift shackels for the back. I would not take apart new springs just for 2 inches, and most 2 inch aals are just the shorties anyway, so that would destroy your new packs in my thoughts.

canadian_xj said:
Seeing as most people think aal's suck, I was wondering if they would be any better if they were added to a brand new stock leaf spring.

Would that make a difference or is it better to just get a lifted spring?

The only reason that I am asking is, were I live, there is no good places to get aftermarket stuff and to have it shipped is crazy expensive.

I just want to get about 2" of lift and I need to replace my front and rear springs as well as my shocks. I think most of the suspension is orginal and my XJ is a '91 w/108k.

I was gonna go for a 3" but I rarely get the heep offroad.

Thanks. Kris

first check this out for rear lift:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50083&highlight=dakota+leaf

and when u go 3" in front u need to change LCA's, and maybe driveshaft.
and as for front I used coil spring spacer, works great.

I think I have figured it out. I plan on going with the ZJ V8 Up Country front coils and for the leafs, I have found a shop in town that can custom make them to 2" height. That should give me 2" front and rear.

Any thoughts?

For 2" I would personally add another stock xj main and second leaf ffrom a donor pack...Ride will not be much different and will not sag....

Mike

Back