• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ Flare Install

88-xj-laredo

NAXJA Forum User
I'll put pics on sometime tommorow or later today.

Right now I have a question,
There is a lip inside the front TJ flares, what do most people do, trim that lip down or cut inside the line drawn on the fender?
So far I have cut inside the line about halfway down the fender, and am probably going to have to trim the lip on the corners.

I trimmed the lip as well but I also took as much of the back out as well so I could cut the openings bigger. This is more impotant on the rear try to cut as much off as possible so you don't see the inside of the fender good luck if you take your time they'll come out really good

I mounted mine to the body and door before I cut them in two. It gave a really clean line so you can hardly tell they are 2 pieces. I would recommend doing that as well if you havent already cut them in half.

family TJ said:
I mounted mine to the body and door before I cut them in two. It gave a really clean line so you can hardly tell they are 2 pieces. I would recommend doing that as well if you havent already cut them in half.

??

Must be a 4dr thing.

Rev

I'm not mounting them on the rear doors, I'm mounting them below, I am kind of worried they won't be wide enough though, I'm pretty sure that I can have 1" beyond the flare in NH though.
What did you guys do with the inner fender? I'm just trimming it out of the way and am planning on bolting it back in when I have the flares on, did you guys take it out or leave it?

I gotta take some pics, I'll have the driver's side flare mounted tommorow, I have the fender all cut, bent and drilled I'm just waiting for some nuts.
I ended up trimming the lip like you guys said, I used a grinder to smooth off what was left of the lip after I trimmed it.
I am 100% positive I'll have 1 flare on tommorow. Then I'll take some pics of the passenger side as I'm doing it (marking, measuring, trimming) since a lot of people have been searching for how to do this.

Sorry still no pics, by the time I got home and started finishing up the driver's side wheel well I didn't have time to take pics.
I did get the flare on though, it looks awesome IMO, I could still use a little more width with the flare as there is still tire beyond it.
I also used some black silicone to make a nice bead to seal the flare to the fender, see how that came out tommorow.

I'm about to start on the passenger side front wheel well so I'll put up some step by step stuff.

Back