• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Teraflex D44 rear disc brakes conversion

casm

NAXJA Forum User
Searched on this, but couldn't find quite the answers I'm looking for. Basically, I've got a couple of quick questions for anyone who may currently be running the Teraflex D44 rear disc brake conversion kit:

- Is any change to the stock hydraulic lines necessary? This'll be going into a 2000, if that helps.

- What vehicle do the pads and rotors correspond to? Just curious from the standpoint of having to eventually replace them, and I can't really walk into the local Kragen and ask for pads & rotors for a 2000 XJ with a D44 and disc brake conversion ;)

My D44's turning up in the next few days and is coming without drums, so this is the perfect time to do the conversion. Any help would be appreciated.

First of all, the TeraFlex kit is the same kit used for all the axles (D35, 8.25, D44) the difference is how it will be installed if you have a c-clip axle versus non c-clip.

casm said:
- Is any change to the stock hydraulic lines necessary? This'll be going into a 2000, if that helps.
No change to the stock hard lines is necessary other than bending them into a different position. The e-brake cable though is another issue. I'm sure in your search you found plenty of info on that.

- What vehicle do the pads and rotors correspond to? Just curious from the standpoint of having to eventually replace them, and I can't really walk into the local Kragen and ask for pads & rotors for a 2000 XJ with a D44 and disc brake conversion ;)
They are Ford Explorer rotors.

The D44 conversion has a different mounting flange and backing plate than the newer 8.25 and D35 axle kits doesnt it?

I have the Teraflex kit on my XJ rear D44 and have not had any problems with it. I have not had to replace pads or rotors yet, however I was told 89 ford exploder pads and rotors will work as replacement parts. As for the e-brake issue I think I used the passenger side TJ E brake cables (they are long). I then wrapped the cable around the ebrake lever on the new disc brake kit. Once wrapped around the lever I folded the cable and used a small wire clamp and tightend it up. All is well and I have had it on for about a year. Andrew

EricsXJ said:
First of all, the TeraFlex kit is the same kit used for all the axles (D35, 8.25, D44) the difference is how it will be installed if you have a c-clip axle versus non c-clip.

Makes sense.

No change to the stock hard lines is necessary other than bending them into a different position. The e-brake cable though is another issue. I'm sure in your search you found plenty of info on that.

Yup. Good thing my handbrake cable needs replacement anyway.

They are Ford Explorer rotors.

Excellent. Thanks for the info, folks.

Back