• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear window fluid squirts directly on the guy behind me. How do I fix the ruber hose?

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
Found this out the hard way driving home from the notary after buying the XJ. I was stopped at a light and was playing with all the buttons when I watched as I shot a stream of washer fluid right in the face of a motorcycle rider. My bad.

Yes, I got right out and told him it was an accident. :banghead:

When I got home I checked it out and notice the little rubber hose is broken where it meets the wiper arm. Do I need to replace the whole arm from the Junk yard or just the hose?

What year? My '98 the hose is not a part by it's self, you have to get the whole arm.

Thats a useful feature....

I actually use this feature to back off tailgaters! Mostly the little ricers that hate to get thier little cars dirty or wet. It freaks out the soccer moms as well, they usually drop the cell phone when it surprises them.

Advance Auto has the hose that you need in the vacuum and emmision hose section. You will have to remove the arm and feed the new hose back through just like the old one was.

The new hose will be clear but is the same size.

Re: Rear window fluid squirts directly on the guy behind me. How do I fix the ruber hose?

^Thanks guys, I shoulda been more specific. Its on a 96.

Also, the hose snapped off at the grommet where the hose goes into the hatch.

IS that still a easy autozone fix?

I was thinking about leaving the hose the way it was since my riced out little brother just bought a built Acura :)

Re: Rear window fluid squirts directly on the guy behind me. How do I fix the ruber hose?

The hose is available at the dealer or any place else that carries a small rubber hose,you need over a foot.I found it a real pain to feed the hose thru the arm like the origonal set up,I just wire tied it to the arm.
Wayne

I find that to be one of the great features of the 84-96 XJ's

I've never taken the hose off the grommet on purpose to entertain myself...

The black plastic grommet has a plastic nipple that the hose to the wiper arm fits over , that is what breaks off. Dealer type overpriced part made of unobtanium.....to fix it you could TRY to find that piece, or make another fitting to connect the hose on the inside to the outside hose.(yes they are separate on a 96) The squirt gun is funny for a little while, but does get old, sometimes having the wiper/washer back there is better....just sayin.

Art Triggs said:
The black plastic grommet has a plastic nipple that the hose to the wiper arm fits over , that is what breaks off. Dealer type overpriced part made of unobtanium.....to fix it you could TRY to find that piece, or make another fitting to connect the hose on the inside to the outside hose.(yes they are separate on a 96) The squirt gun is funny for a little while, but does get old, sometimes having the wiper/washer back there is better....just sayin.
Im afraid Art is right. This is a dealer part. The nipple on my broke last year. Its part of the actual wiper mount. I forget the dealer price for the part, Im thinking it was around $18 or so.

xjtrailrider said:
I actually use this feature to back off tailgaters! Mostly the little ricers that hate to get thier little cars dirty or wet. It freaks out the soccer moms as well, they usually drop the cell phone when it surprises them.

Thats hilarious. I noticed the ricers that try to drive all bad ass and ride your bumper go nuts when I put the rear washer on and dirty water might get blown on their car. We have windshield washer hose/vacuum hose at NAPA its identical to whats on the XJ, I would think other good parts stores would have it as well.

And I will pick up a spare squirter nozzle next time at the pick&pull.

Mine did that too, but I was lucky enough that the plastic piece didn't break off. I think the end of the hose just got old so I trimmed the end off and put it back on. Worked like a charm.

My grommet had the nipple broken off as well. I ordered the proper part from:

http://allchryslerparts.com/

Sorry, don't have a part number with me now. Perhaps I'll find it later and post it.

IIRC, for less than half of what my local dealer was asking.

Seen lots of posts where people just fitted a new nipple to the grommet. Either drilling it out some and JB welding a metal tube in or using some sort of self-tapping nipple.

If you go with a new grommet, its not that hard in concept, remove the wiper arm by pulling back a clip, then back off a nut over the gromet, disconnect tube from back of gromet, then reverse it with the new grommet.

BUT, getting the wiper arm off the shaft was far easier said then done, it rust onto the end of the shaft and is a bear to get it to come off.

Art Triggs said:

Well, here's what I did to fix it on our '96... I took a 1/8" drill bit and drilled the hole where the fitting broke off of the grommet to a depth of about 3/16"

Then, took an old ball point pen, and cut 1/2" of the plastic ink straw off the end (where no ink was) and poked that into the hole I drilled. It fit perfectly with friction. If you do this and it is loose, you could put a drop of super glue on the pen part before you insert it.

Finally, attach the hose from the wiper arm to the ink straw. Again, perfect friction fit.

Voila. Fixed.

Back