• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drum brake or rear axle clicking??

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I did my rear drums on my 90' with new shoes,hardware/springs and new drums. After driving for awhile, I have been hearing a clicking sound when I apply my brakes at the right rear area. The clicking slows as I slow down.

When I did my brakes, I had to loosen the hand brake, open up the brake bleeder.

I am wondering if the clicking is coming within the axle? Or could it be the brakes are out of adjustment. I did go backwards a few times and apply the hand brake. Could a new drum go out of round that fast?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

after reassembling the rear breaks after an axle swap (D35 to 8.25) one of the retaining springs came loose. it was the one with the slotted retaining plate that fits the pin, that goes through the backing plate and the shoe. it wedged between the shoe and drum causing the axle to make a horable squeel as the vehicle drove.

quick way to tell is to just pull the drum off. since you recently did a brake job it shouldnt be too hard. once you have the drum off, check to make sure everything is where its supposed to be. if you took digital pictures (i find it to be a big help to reassemble drum brakes) then compare to those.

its not to uncomon for one of those annoying pin/spring assys to come loose.

hth
stewie

I recently had that problem with a brand new rotor. The rotor was bad since the noise went away when we replaced it again.

Sounds like somwthing in the brake assy came loose. Time to pull the drum again and take a look see!

OK,
Thanks for input. A strange thing happened today. Had to tow a trailer about 15 miles, and the sound from the brakes appears to of gone away? Not sure why that is? But, I drove home with out the trailer and I have no noise.

Seems strange? Any Thoughts?

Bob

that clicking, is it consistent like the wheel of fortune wheel or is it odd and sparadic? I had my rear off the ground today and gave one of my wheels a spin. Mine sounded like the wheel of fortune and I'm suspecting bearings but worst part is it's happening on both sides. Good thing that Turdy-5 isn't staying in long enough for me to care :p

i would put $ on one of the new drums making the noise ,
sometimes they dont finish the final machining process which leaves a groove from the inside of the drum to the outside along the friction surface .
when the shoes are pressed out to contact the drum , they try to follow the groove until they cant travel any farther , then " snap " back .
the reason the noise stopped is probably that the groove has worn down and is now flat enough not to cause a problem .
it might not be a bad idea to just pull the drum and make sure nothing is loose / damaged .

bill

Back