• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OX locker or detroit locker D44

Rockken

NAXJA Member # 1674
Guys,
I'd like your opinion on what you think is a better setup. I have a high pinion D44 out of a full size bronco for the front axle. I currently have an electrac locker, which is failing, I also have 37" boggers on it. I'm going to get cromoly shafts and OX u joints. Would an OX locker be better than a detroit locker? I know the detroit locker is a very beefy locker, but in the front axle I'm a bit worried about breaking something while turning. This is a trail rig only. The gears are currently 4:56, but I want to replace them with 4:88. I have an atlas II with a 4 to 1 low gear.
Thanks
Ken

Rockken said:
Guys,
I'd like your opinion on what you think is a better setup. I have a high pinion D44 out of a full size bronco for the front axle. I currently have an electrac locker, which is failing, I also have 37" boggers on it. I'm going to get cromoly shafts and OX u joints. Would an OX locker be better than a detroit locker? I know the detroit locker is a very beefy locker, but in the front axle I'm a bit worried about breaking something while turning. This is a trail rig only. The gears are currently 4:56, but I want to replace them with 4:88. I have an atlas II with a 4 to 1 low gear.
Thanks
Ken
Detroit all the way.

Thanks Kejtar. How long have you been running that detroit in the d30? Have you had any problems?

Rockken said:
Thanks Kejtar. How long have you been running that detroit in the d30? Have you had any problems?
It's been in my D30 for close to 3 years now. So far no complaints and I'm not light on the skinny pedal either.

Nice. I was leaning towards the detroit anyways.

If it was my rig and it never saw street use, I would save the money and lincoln lock it.

But you didnt give that option so I would go with the OX. The diff cover alone makes it worth it. Not to mention being able to turn it off if you dont need it.

sp4mike said:
If it was my rig and it never saw street use, I would save the money and lincoln lock it.
you are joking right?
But you didnt give that option so I would go with the OX. The diff cover alone makes it worth it. Not to mention being able to turn it off if you dont need it.
So you go from lincoln locker where your turning is pretty much shot to an OX cause you can turn it and it's got beefier cover? :confused:

I have a beefy guard on the D44, I'm not too worried about the cover getting damaged.

Kejtar said:
you are joking right?

So you go from lincoln locker where your turning is pretty much shot to an OX cause you can turn it and it's got beefier cover? :confused:

I was assuming he had a stock cover. The OX and the detroit are close enough in price that adding a cover to the detroit would be extra money on top of the cost of the locker.

Why would you spend money on a locker if you never take it on the road? That just seems like a waste of money to me. Im sorry that you feel differently. Ill be sure to check with you before I have my own opinion. Ass.

sp4mike said:
Im sorry that you feel differently.
Most of us are grateful that we feel differently than Remi!!!
Rick R:sunshine:
Now....if I had a 44 in front....Detroit and Hydro assist!!!
but I only have a 30....so its Detroit and spare tie-rods.. :D

I'd get a selectable if I was building a front where $ was too big a deal.

sp4mike said:
Ill be sure to check with you before I have my own opinion. Ass.

What I think Kejtar is referring to is that your post indicated that the diff cover on the Ox made it worth it.

OX - $700
Detroit and thick spicer cover - $500 ($600 if you go rock ring or fancy cover)

I run an electrac up front and it's holding up fine - but I run a 33" tire on it.

Rockken, you know what the spool feels like up front, if it doesn't bother you - then go for the Detroit. Before you realize you need to switch it on, it's working for you.

If you need selectibility for the street(or trail), tigher turns, etc... Then shell out the extra for the selectable.

:twocents:

I have a spool in the rear 9" now and turning is no fun. I 'm going to swap the rear spool for a detroit and add cutting brakes. The rear has drum brakes, so I'm going to see how well the parking brake will work as cutting brakes.

XJack said:
What I think Kejtar is referring to is that your post indicated that the diff cover on the Ox made it worth it.

OX - $700
Detroit and thick spicer cover - $500 ($600 if you go rock ring or fancy cover)
Thank you! I was just trying to point out that a cover should not be a reason to get the locker.... it's the strength and reliability of the locker that should be looked at and anything else is a bonus.

Rockken, you know what the spool feels like up front, if it doesn't bother you - then go for the Detroit. Before you realize you need to switch it on, it's working for you.

If you need selectibility for the street(or trail), tigher turns, etc... Then shell out the extra for the selectable.

:twocents:
I have driven on the street with my detroit and it has not been a problem. When there is no power going to the front driveshaft detroit will not be engaged. Yes you will chirp tires as you're trying to make that impossible turn into this tight parking spot in a narrow parking lot, but that should be about the extent of it.

On the trail? Yeah it kind of wants to push you around a hair but it's not bad. Big thing for me is that you don't have to worry about any engagement mechanism and there are less parts that could go wrong. Also OX has been on and off the market couple times (IIRC there was a couple year period when they kind of did not exist).

sp4mike said:
Why would you spend money on a locker if you never take it on the road? That just seems like a waste of money to me. Im sorry that you feel differently. Ill be sure to check with you before I have my own opinion. Ass.
Are you referring to lincoln locking your axle? If so, let me put it this way: I Will not wheel with anyone who has welded front spiders. That's just asking for trouble....... Welded rear.... I'd prefer not to either, but sometimes you just don't know till the end.

Kejtar said:
Are you referring to lincoln locking your axle? If so, let me put it this way: I Will not wheel with anyone who has welded front spiders. That's just asking for trouble....... Welded rear.... I'd prefer not to either, but sometimes you just don't know till the end.

You have a point there, although a good welder can do it correctly and it is as strong as the carrier. You are correct about OX's history, but they have fixed any issues that they had in the past. Im not a fan of full time lockers (if you cant tell) there is a learning/breaking in period that it is just too unpredictable. I guess that isnt much of an issue in an off road only rig, but I dont want to be next to someone the first time they change lanes on the highway with a detroit.

As a former Detroit user, in the rear of a DD, I can't recommend them for use on the highway with a manual trans, especially if you drive in the snow.

The only other problem with a Detroit is their tendency to explode when you break an axle shaft. The coupler get shock loaded badly, and tend to shear. Tractech will not warranty that condition.

If you want a manual locker then go ARB or go Eaton. I don't like the Ox Locker for sake of adjustments that seam to never be right all the way up to leaking from the cable port on the cover.
I use a detroit in my auto'd D44 and I won't look back. although I haven't seen a detroit explode I believe its posibble with any locker you have installed.

I have to admit that I don't have a lot of experience. It seems to me that if some people want something, they learn to live with the drawbacks. While the others that get what they want love it. A trailer rig doesn't have to deal with the street, but why go a route that you know will compromise your steering in tight spots. The ARB guys just turn them off when not needed. I watched my friend in his CJ get pushed around by his ARB up front till he turned it off.
I put a OX in back cause it is my DD. Love it! It's a spool when it is on, then it's off. I set the cable up per instructions. Went to a field, made one adjustment. It has worked flawlesly since. What is everyone's heart ache with cable adjustment? I applied RTV to the cable when I instaled it, no leaks. I looked at the locking ring when I got it, and then talked to OX. The locking teeth are ramped. When you engage, if the ring is not fully in (read the cable not adjusted right), the teeth will pull the ring in to full lock. Ox told me that earlier versions had straight teeth, and cable adjustment was critical. (The redesign was 4 years ago) Mine locks and unlocks perfectly, instantly, everytime.
With the parts you are talking about, money isn't a object. There is no arguing a Detroit. I'm not trying to say that a Detroit would be a bad choice, but I bet if you got a OX, you would love it.

Last edited:
Now the Eaton... now that its out is gonna be a great unit. They've worked flawlessly so far and also seem pretty stout. Cheaper than an OX and an ARB...

Back