• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle swapping, brake lines rounded off

jeepnuts311

NAXJA Forum User
hey all,
swapping a dana 44 in for my 35 today and the rear brake line on the left side has rounded off. the right side came out of the junction block easily, but the left hand side is stuck.

what would yall do ni this situation?

-Tim

jeepnuts311 said:
hey all,
swapping a dana 44 in for my 35 today and the rear brake line on the left side has rounded off. the right side came out of the junction block easily, but the left hand side is stuck.

what would yall do ni this situation?

-Tim

Buy a new rubber line/junction block.

might as well get a longer one if you're planning lift anyway. A mid 90's dakota line fit well with my 3" MJ lift.

already sittin at 5" lift. the bummer is that im trying to save a RE1515 extended brake line/junction. the stoopid stock d35 hard line flare nut has rounded totally off and vise grips wont budge it.

-Tim

if that's the case then I would cut the line so you can get the junction block out and onto the bench, where you might be able to get a better grip/angle on the rounded off nut. I say cut the d35 hard line, take it to the bench and either tap the closest fitting socket onto the nut or grind flat spots on it so you can attack it with a large pair of vise grips or an open end wrench.

87manche said:
if that's the case then I would cut the line so you can get the junction block out and onto the bench, where you might be able to get a better grip/angle on the rounded off nut. I say cut the d35 hard line, take it to the bench and either tap the closest fitting socket onto the nut or grind flat spots on it so you can attack it with a large pair of vise grips or an open end wrench.

sounds like a plan to me, but how to replace the hardline once i have cut it? they arent exactly in stock at the LAPS...would i have to bend new hard lines, and how do i bend them without pinching them off? i would love to put new hardlines on

-Tim

I find the best tool for rounded anything (if you dont care about the outcome of the rounded item) is a pipe wrench! I would have to bet that a smaller pipe wrench would get it right out. The pro to them is that it tightens it as you turn it. Just make sure you position the jaw the right way so it does. Great tool to own.

warwagon98xj said:
small pipe wrench, go to value home center or i think they maybe called do it best down south they have a 4" one for like $6

Daym you, you beat me to it..

jeepnuts311 said:
sounds like a plan to me, but how to replace the hardline once i have cut it? they arent exactly in stock at the LAPS...would i have to bend new hard lines, and how do i bend them without pinching them off? i would love to put new hardlines on

-Tim

Just go slow and easy...it ain't hard. Oh...and buy a flare wrench to use from now on.

Rev

you can buy pre cut and flared lengths of brake line at any auto parts store, most of those will also have the tool to bend it.
Use a piece of sold copper wire to plan your brakeline bends, then straighten it out so you know what length brakeline you need at the parts store.

87manche said:
Use a piece of sold copper wire to plan your brakeline bends, then straighten it out so you know what length brakeline you need at the parts store.

WOW...that is a really good idea, why did'nt I ever think of that? It is so simple..it's brillant.
Now I feel like an idiot for flaring my own lines...sh%t

Rev

Rev Den said:
WOW...that is a really good idea, why did'nt I ever think of that? It is so simple..it's brillant.
Now I feel like an idiot for flaring my own lines...sh%t

Rev
flaring brake lines sucks. premade is where it's at :)

Back