• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear main seal stuck

SUA SPONTE

NAXJA Forum User
happy saturday guys- Im trying to punch the old top portion of my rear main out and having a hell of a time. its my first time doing this. Any tips or tricks from the pros would help me out a lot. thanks in advance.
cheers
RLTW

Use a brass drift or wooden dowel; the last thing you want to do is score the crank or journal. Push against the metal pin through the middle - you may find it easier to alternate the sides (loosen it going one way, break it loose going the other)

Loosen a couple more main caps so that the crank sags slightly

using one of your new rear main seal halves,(remember lip of seal, faces the oil....faceses toward the front of the eng) rotate your crank, turning out the old one and installing the the new one at the same time.

DON'T FOR GET TO TIGHTEN, AND RE TORQUE ALL THE MAIN CAPS BEFORE YOU PUT THE OIL PAN BACK ON!!!!!!

Flash.

What Yucca said...

If you still have trouble getting it you could loosen all the bearing caps to take pressure off it. Only do this if you have access to a Torque wrench and retorque it back correctly.

If you haven't got a torque wrench, beg barrow or by you self one.

the bean type one are inexpensive and readily available.

To get this job done you could see about borrowing one...or call your local autozone and they can loan you one with a refundable deposit.

Back