• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question for all the rear mounted tire guys.....

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
Just curious.

Im trying to do my XJ as efficiently as possible. Hence alot of used parts.

I was cruising the local U-Pull-It today and noticed A TON of Monteros (sp?) with the spare tire mounts on the rear door.

I know there was a company making after market spare tire mounts but they went out of business.

You guys that have your spares mounted on the rear hatch, how do you use your hatch after putting a bug heavy tire tire? Or do you guys all have swing away systems?

Thanks!

I've never seen an XJ with the spare actually mounted to the hatch itself. The factory swing-away is lighter duty and mounts to the body at the rear corner. The aftermarket ones hinge off the bumper, it comes as an assembly, or you could fabricate one onto an existing heavy duty aftermarket or home brewed bumper. The early XJs have a fiberglass hatch, no way is a tire going on there.

^ How rare are those factory swing aways?

I cant find one anywhere. The Junkyard has hundreds of Rodeos, Broncos, and Toyotas with swing aways but not a single XJ.

Thanks!

actually i saw a factory tire carrier on an xj at the boneyard with it mounted on the bumper and to the hatch. they plated the hatch on both sides and it swung on a hing attached near the passenger end cap.I would own it now if it wasn't for them dam stripped rusty torx bits. Killed my bit and was gone next time i went back :(

Back