• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ladder roof rack -----> Light bar. Anyone seen it done before?

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
Just curious.

Im trying to do my XJ as efficiently as possible. Hence alot of used parts.

I was cruising the local U-Pull-It today and noticed A TON of cargo vans with the rain gutter ladder racks.

I didnt have enough time to find one which could be adjusted to fit the width of the XJ but has anyone done it before? The Junkyard only charges $7 per mount which beats the hell out of any other light bar I have seen anywhere.

Thanks!

Anybody can wip out the credit card and buy stuff but the coolest stuff is made up with what you can get your hands on. I'm tinkering with a bunk bed tubular frame for a roof rack now. I might steal your bracket idea so let us know what you find works the best.

^lol good idea!

Ill be heading back out to the JY tuesday morning to pick one up. Of course as I was pulling out the parking lot and there was a guy carrying two adjustables to his van.

Of course he needed both, I asked :)

Here she is, $5 from the junkyard for half a ladder rack. Cut 7 inches out of the middle, re welded, grinded, cut off vertical risers, welded caps on, sanded, undercoated entire bar, drilled and tapped holes for the lights, bought 6 halogen driving lights and mounted them not bad for a $30 grand total.

As you guys can see I only used 5 lights, 1 of which is a back up incase i bust one out.

Sorry if some of the steps dont have pictures, I forget to take them when im working :)

I think you forgot the link.:)

Plays For Jeeps said:
Here she is, $5 from the junkyard for half a ladder rack. Cut 7 inches out of the middle, re welded, grinded, cut off vertical risers, welded caps on, sanded, undercoated entire bar, drilled and tapped holes for the lights, bought 6 halogen driving lights and mounted them not bad for a $30 grand total. Edit: bla, bla, bla, .......Pictures.........priceless!

:wave: sorry, kind reminded me of the american express comercials, lol.

My bad lol ill try again. 56k, go take a nap.

IMG00401.jpg

IMG00316.jpg

IMG00317.jpg

IMG00318.jpg

IMG00320.jpg

IMG00321.jpg

IMG00325.jpg

IMG00326.jpg

IMG00328.jpg

IMG00400.jpg

IMG00399.jpg

Back