• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

currie 9 - gear oil

RyanM

NAXJA Forum User
New to the ford 9, doesn't have a drain. Do i Pull the shafts out a little and remove the 3rd member to drain the oil?

thanks

Nice axle setup on your Jeep, I have the same axles with detroits and 37" MTRs.

Yeah that's the traditional way to drain the 9" which is a big pain. I tried putting a small hose down the fill flug hole and draining it that way, but didn't come all the close to totally draining it. I'm planning on installing a drain plug low on the 9" housing with a countersunk allen head plug of some sort. This will no doubt making changing the oil very easy and it will happen a lot more often than the traditional draining method.

thanks. thought about pumping it out, just making sure i wasnt looking oversomething

I plan on doing the drain plug thing as well, similiar to those on Toy8's.

dzraces said:
ehh pull the 3rd member and inspect things you probably want to any ways if you wheel even remotely hard

True, but it's so much easier/faster to just pull out a drain plug (check the fluid) and refill.

Remove the lowest stud on the housing and replace with a bolt.

It will work as a drain plug.

Dirk Pitt said:
Remove the lowest stud on the housing and replace with a bolt.

It will work as a drain plug.

I remember hearing that, nice and easy, but slow..just pull the bolt and let it drain overnight.

Thanks Dirk as the Guiness comercial....brilliant....!!! ;)

Troy

You could pull one shaft, then lower that same side of the axle and let the fluid drain out. It sounds pretty redneck but it saves you from having to pull the 3rd.

Back