• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I broke my shifter help me out.

Tree Frog

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I was trying to take the shifter knob off and it snapped off at the bottom of the threads.

How hard is it to change the shifter out? Has anyone changed theirs before?

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Are you sure your not looking at the locknut that sits under the knob on the stick? Does it have two flats on it to use a wrench on it to remove?

That's my guess too. The shifter knob has threads and there's a locknut under it that keeps it from moving around during use.

Later,
Joe

The lock nut, knob and threads are not longer attached to my jeep.

The nut came up on some damaged treads or something, I pushed harder, the threaded portion snapped off.

Has anyone ever changed their shift lever out?

On the AX5/15 5-speed manual, there is a locking ring at the base of the shifter just inside the top of the shift tower on the tranny. You push it in and turn (don't remember which way) and it will then pop out and you pull the whole shifter rod straight up and out. It's much easier if you've already got the boot off instead of reaching up from underneath.

You could either get another at the junkyard, or have someone weld a bolt to the end. If you can't find another, I have a junk AX15 in the garage heading for the scrap metal bin at work. I could pull the shifter and mail it to you for the cost of shipping. PM me if interested.

Last edited:
I broke mine on my MJ just like yours. I pulled the shifter out and ground down the outside diameter till a little over 1/2 inch diameter. Then I threaded that with my tap and die set. I was aperfect fit for an aftermarket B&M T handle to go on to. Just a thought for you.

comancheon33 said:
I broke mine on my MJ just like yours. I pulled the shifter out and ground down the outside diameter till a little over 1/2 inch diameter. Then I threaded that with my tap and die set. I was aperfect fit for an aftermarket B&M T handle to go on to. Just a thought for you.

I thought about doing something like that, but I don't want the shifter any shorter than it is. If I could put another 4 inches on it I would!

It is a little shorter but I like the way feels now. Kinda like it shortened the throw. I extended one for a guy in an XJ awhile back. I took the whole assembly out and knocked the shifter itself off the base rubber and all. Then I welded an old Hurst shifter I found at the junk yard directly to it. Made a little noise but moved it up and back about 4-5 inches. Worked good for him because he had broke his bck and had it fused all together.

Back