• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case help 01XJ

CHUGLYxj

NAXJA Forum User
OK 231 xfer case and I am in the middle of screwing up the SYE instal. Swaping to a cut down shaft and I cannot find the part # or a parts store that carries the part. I am looking for the Rear Output Shaft Seal or Rear Retainer Seal depending on where you look. I have tried both the local stores and got 2 different parts that are close but the wrong shaft diameter. I am hitting up the dealer next but would feel better walking in with a part number to give them.

Now to reshape the one we tore up removing so I can drive home.:explosion

ok finally found the seal today after 4 dealerships. One closed on Sat, one said they had it and it was the same part that didn't fit at the 3rd but the number and part were finally found at the second. Why is it so hard to put the same type of seal in a 231? Apperently mine and thousands of others had the front output shaft seal also used on the rear output shaft. It is part 04798117 from MOPAR. Stupid thing cost me $23 and who knows how much gas and 5 hours to track down. But I now know what I need and it worked!!!

Now another issue, it put the "cap", oil slinger (MOPAR name) back on and I have a grinding noise with acceleration. I think it is just set on too far and I am going to try to move it away from the TC housing just a bit.

I am also now having a leak at the front output shaft, front driveshaft yoke. Could this be due to not tighting the yoke on enough? I am going to go get the proper socket later to try it, go figure the only nut we missed putting to spec with a tourque wrentch is causing a leak.

Back