• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 with 242TC....locker or LSD????

jacked

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 90 xj 2dr, 4.0, aw4, 242 TC. i will be adding an aussie rear auto locker, but for the front since i have the 242 im not sure what to do. i def dont want to keep it open, but i would like to use full time now and then. i never use it on dry road, only when snowing or raining. so should i install a lsd like a powertrax no slip? or can i use the aussie front locker as long as i only engage it in non dry applications?

Gaius said:
Either one will work fine, even on dry pavement.
That is incorrect.

Jacked,
If you wish to keep your full time option, you will need to install a selectable locker in the D30. It is not advisable to drive on pavement with an autolocker in the front end and a 242 that is in 4x4. While in 2wd of course, there is no issue.

Also, the Powertrax No-Slip is a locker, not a LSD.

Hale

Last edited:
i would really like to have front and rear locked but cant afford a selectable. what if i lock the front with an aussie as long as i never engage it on dry pavement, that should be ok right? it will be upgraded to stronger shafts with 297 ujoints as well, 4.88 gears.

the reason you cant run a front auto locker with the 242 is because you will snap an axle or ujoint if running full time on pavement.

Back