• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilstein 5100 specs needed

jordo

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know the compressed lengths for these:
BE5-6255-H5
BE5-6256-H5

Just ran into an awesome deal on them for my XJ with 2" lift and want to make sure my bump stops are adequate so I don't smush them.

Called Bilstein but all the offroad guys are at the races 'till Monday and I want to install them now dammit!!!!

The information I'm requesting is NOT on that chart or even publically available in any form according to the two people I talked to at Bilstein (I've searched and can't find anything).

I know the shocks fit my application as per the chart, but I'm hoping someone has gotten the compressed lengths from Bilstein so I can ensure my bumpstops are properly set.

Uh.. So you found a good deal.. Go for it bolt them on and then check!! It really is only way to know for sure.
Go for it!!

I was thinking more along the lines of doing the math first without the shocks installed and making the modifications to the bump stop length beforehand.

Just for clarification:
As per Bilstein: "Compression bump stop on chassis may need to be modified to prevent damage to the shock absorber."

Anyone else? I'll just compress and measure em when I get back to the garage if need be but if someone knows the spec'd compressed lengths much appreciated.

Its hard for me to tell if you have the shocks already or not. If you do then the easiest thing would be to measure them yourself. Failing that I would contact a vendor and see if you can get them to measure them for you.

Otherwise I doubt there is going to be an issue with ruining them. You have a budget boost (2") so ideally you want a shock that is a touch longer than stock, but not ungodly long otherwise you will run into bottoming-out issues.

These seem to me to be a replacement for a factory shock, so they really should be similar to the length of the factory shock absorbers. If this holds true then there shouldn't any concerns with bottoming them out. If you were using them with Bar Pin Eliminators (BPE) or some other device that changed the mounting type and added length at the same time, then I might be a little more concerned. Likewise if they weren't a factory-replacement piece, but say a shock that is designed for a suspension that is 4" - 6" over stock, then once again you have concerns.

MGrobe: I have the shocks but dropped them off at my parents garage before remembering to measure the compressed length. The vendor didn't have the info and gave me the same 800# as Bilstein's site for questions regarding dimensional lengths. Since they are not a straight up factory replacement but rather designed for a 2-3" lift with a note about bump stops I wanted to check things out, even if the chance is slim. I'd just rather not smush something I can only afford once right now even if they were a great deal ($340cdn all said and done-excellent price up here)

RCP Phx: Unfortuneately the shocks I have aren't on that chart or website but thx for trying to answer the original question.

jordo said:
The information I'm requesting is NOT on that chart or even publically available in any form according to the two people I talked to at Bilstein (I've searched and can't find anything).

I know the shocks fit my application as per the chart, but I'm hoping someone has gotten the compressed lengths from Bilstein so I can ensure my bumpstops are properly set.

At the risk of inappropriately dredging up an old issue, I'm wondering if you ever found out the compressed lengths of these shocks. I find it odd that the manufacturer would be so secretive about one of its products, especially when these specs are listed for other shock numbers. How else to evaluate whether you want it or not? I'd rather not have to mess with front bumpstop modification if I don't have to, the front ZJ compressed length for the monroe sensatrac for ZJ is the same as stock XJ.

Back