• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

roof rack removal

jimcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
i did run a search on this so dont chew me out please!

i just bought new roofrack bars (i have the half roof length roof rack) and i spent about 5 minutes trying to take off the old roof rack bars before i got frustrated and decided to post up here. how do i take off the bars? and the clips that move the bars around? i plan on keeping the clips in however... just looking for some insight. thanks in advance. (PS - it's a 2000 if it makes any difference)

The rails themselves are held in place by Torx bolts down through the roof. the access holes are spaced evenly along the rail. The crossbars can be removed by taking a screw out (from underneath, IIRC). I don't recall how your later-model rail uprights click and move though...should be able to press in the button and slide them back and forth. To completely remove them, the endcap will need to come off.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I took the cross bars off my 2001 over the summer, end caps have to come off, try taking out the last torx screw (I don't remember if it actually holds the end piece in or just puts pressure on it). Then just hold down the buttons on the rails and work them back or get someone on both sides to help you just slide it off all at once, they should slide right off. No big deal. The rails come off with the torx screws, just make sure you plug the holes with something...

I got a little overzealous at the lumber yard last week and broke my front crossbar. I'm going to just get rid of the crossbars for now.

Is there anything to be gained by also taking off the rails? I have a Torx screwdriver set, so it should be easy, but don't know if the silicone-filled holes would be better than just the rails.

I am off tomorrow and will be doing some work on the Ms's. car, should I lose the roof rails on the Jeep while I'm at it?

Pros, cons?

Well I took off the whole thing and it looked like the tower may have just snapped inward and off the rail but didn't actually break.

Has anyone had this happen before? I checked and I can't find any breakage. I think it may still be usable.

Since I had the rack off I decided to leave the cross bars off and save a few pennies in gas until I need them again. I thought the truck looked a little funny without the rails so they are back on and that way I didn't have to plug the holes.

Back