• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What size brakes!!!!????

jacked

NAXJA Forum User
hi, i have a 90 xj 2dr, 4.0, AW4, 242tc, with the D35 (3.55 gears) out back, i need new brake shoes ASAP, the parts store lists 3 different size rear drums. can anyone please tell me what i need?

This may be a pain in the ass, but take a rear wheel off and measure the inner diameter of the brake drum, and also the depth. Most non-police Cherokees use the smaller brake shoes. Only way to be sure is to take it off and measure it.

yeah, i know, quit being lazy, i only asked because i had just taken off the rear wheels to check the brakes in the first place, not thinking i would need to measure them. so its just a pita to have to do it again and then put em back on just to go get the brakes and do it all over.

D-35 is the smallest of the three.

If the drums you have on right now have little grooves on the outside, they're 10". If they're smooth, they're one of the 9". If all else fails, take off one of them and take it to the auto parts store to compare. That is if measuring it is out of the question.

A maximum diameter that your drums can be cut should be cast or stamped on the front of drum. This should tell you what size you have, probably will have to pull a wheel to see it, but at least you won't have to pull brakes apart untill you get back w/parts

got em done, the d35 is def the smaller 9" drums. what a pita. come to find out the adjuster cable on the passenger side was rusted in half and the little bracket/spring combo had came loose and was jammed against the drum so it had a huge gouge in it from rubbing. luckily they are only $5 each. now i can stop again!

Back