• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Monroe gas matic at Sears buy one get one free....

citRon

NAXJA Forum User
howdy- Anybody use these in a lifted XJ- 2". At $32.99 each, or $64 bucks for 4 of them, seems like a good deal. I'm gathering everything I need for a BB, I have 2" spacers for front, rear AAl, and now I need shocks. Rocklizard's set up calls for Monroe Sensa-tracs, but I read that with their 'groove tube' design, these may not be the best to use on a lifted XJ, as the grooves were set for a stock application. So I'm wondering if the gas matics would be a good shock- they have a 60,000 mile warranty, the sensa-tracs have a lifetime warranty.

http://www.sears.com/sr/automotive/auto_shocks_struts_cartridges.jsp

Why not just raise/lower one of the mounts per shock? I raised my rear lowers and did the same with the front lowers (albeit using a different method). I am using my SensaTracs for stock height with a 2" lift. Everything's just peachy this way.

Using the nuts, bolts and brackets that attach the rear swaybar to the spring plates, you have some cheap and easy Bar Pin Eliminators to use for the upper attachment of your rear shocks. This will give you ~1 inch in extended length.

The Monroe-Matics are decent basic shocks and they are good deal at that price point. I paid as little as $9 each when I used them on my budget boost 6 years ago. If you do some research for different applications you can possibly find some that will grow with you a little, something that gives an extended length around 23" and a compressed length around 14.5 to 15" would be OK to 3" in lift.

Let sears put them in, that way THEY break the rears loose and have to fix the upper shock mounts :D :D :D

John90XJ said:
Using the nuts, bolts and brackets that attach the rear swaybar to the spring plates, you have some cheap and easy Bar Pin Eliminators to use for the upper attachment of your rear shocks. This will give you ~1 inch in extended length.

The Monroe-Matics are decent basic shocks and they are good deal at that price point. I paid as little as $9 each when I used them on my budget boost 6 years ago. If you do some research for different applications you can possibly find some that will grow with you a little, something that gives an extended length around 23" and a compressed length around 14.5 to 15" would be OK to 3" in lift.

I was going to do the rear sway-bar BPE trick anyway, and I'm going to get the ones for a GC up front, and a Commanche for rear- has almost exactly the measurements you described!

Timber said:
Why not just raise/lower one of the mounts per shock? I raised my rear lowers and did the same with the front lowers (albeit using a different method). I am using my SensaTracs for stock height with a 2" lift. Everything's just peachy this way.

I need new shocks anyway, so I figured I'd get longer ones.

citRon said:
I need new shocks anyway, so I figured I'd get longer ones.
I meant that you can use stock-height SensaTracs (or get longer ones). Just don't do the bar-pin eliminators using the rear anti-sway bar links with them. They turn one half of the shock 90*, which is bad for internally grooved shocks.

You can use the ones you have if you pull the bar pins out. You may destroy the bushings in the process, as some are harder to remove then others. Replacements are only a few bucks.

well, I went by sears today, and the guy couldn't find any front shock numbers in the gas matic for the ZJ w/up country suspension, which is the one I need. His computer didn.t even show the sensatracs in this, only the reflex. I know the sensatracs have a number for it, Rocklizard has it listed on his websight! Guess I'll have to do a little more research..

Keep in mind that if you find a Monroe number in one application it's probably the same in the other product lines with only a change in the first 1 or 2 numbers to differentiate Monroe-Matic versus Reflex versus Sensa-Trac or whatever they have. If you find 91541 will work, try 31541 and 51541 as an example.

ok, it seems monroe is no longer making the sensatrac for the grand cherokee with up country, front, 37193. They now cross reference that number to the reflex shock, which is about $50 bucks for the cheapest I could find. No way I'm paying $50 bucks for monroe shocks- I'd get bilsteins for that amount.

was pricing sensatracs a week ago and my local Canadian Tire had a bunch of the 37193's in stock while other shops couldn't get them. maybe another shop in your area will have some in their warehouse still.

someone asked about the yellow monroe LT shocks and I have to say they ride like crap. they were alright for a bit then they started riding really harsh. only put them on cause 4 new ones were in the back of a parts heep i bought.

Timber said:
Here is a chart of all their shocks and their specs.: http://www.monroe.com/catalog_lookup/ocl_miscappinfo.asp
Click the second link in the list-- "Shock Absorber 'Dimension' Chart."
Edited to change to the correct link.

This is the chart you need but let me add that when you find a shock in the length you need cross it back to what it was originally intended to fit. What you want is a shock for a light vehicle not a heavy one. In other words if you find a shock you like but it was designed for a Ford F350 it will be valved too heavy for your XJ. If you find one for a half ton truck or a mini truck that would be better valving.

Back