• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how big of tire can a "super 35" take?

trailbound xj

NAXJA Forum User
well I can get a decent deal on a set of 34*10.5 ltb's and was wondering if the current "super 35" axle setup will give me bird.I'm running 32*10.5's tsl's right now and have never had a problem . current axle setup right now is stock dana 35 with 4.88's and a rockcrusher cover and the rear is a dana 35 with a yukon "super 35" kit ,4.88's a rockcrusher cover. would the 34's be too much?or sould I be happy with what I got and stop being greedy

It all depends on the terrain and your driving style.

trailbound xj said:
well I can get a decent deal on a set of 34*10.5 ltb's and was wondering if the current "super 35" axle setup will give me bird.I'm running 32*10.5's tsl's right now and have never had a problem . current axle setup right now is stock dana 35 with 4.88's and a rockcrusher cover and the rear is a dana 35 with a yukon "super 35" kit ,4.88's a rockcrusher cover. would the 34's be too much?or sould I be happy with what I got and stop being greedy

Do you drive to the trail head or trailer it ? On a trailer you can be a bit more brave...

Gaius said:
I'd say 35s. Just truss it.

:roflmao: Best one I heard all day.:D

Just messing around a little. A d35 is not worth trussing in my opinion. I broke three of them on 31" tires with a four banger under the hood. Granted I have a heavy foot but I don't consider the d35 worth that much work.

Kim

85xjwoody said:
I have a heavy foot

Understatement of the century.

:D

Hale

You didn't break Super35 shafts. They are 1.31 inch 30 spline.

And I know how much of a POS dana 35s are. that's why I don;t have one in either of my rigs.

Here is last weekend. He broke BOTH stock shafts at once (ARB) just because he left his e-brake on. Let me repeat, he broke both shafts with his BRAKES. I had to skid him down the mountain.That was fun.

seaside20070303009va1.jpg

Funny thing, all my d35 axles broke at the pinion and not an axleshaft like 95% of the time.

Kim

Gaius said:
You didn't break Super35 shafts. They are 1.31 inch 30 spline.

And I know how much of a POS dana 35s are. that's why I don;t have one in either of my rigs.

Here is last weekend. He broke BOTH stock shafts at once (ARB) just because he left his e-brake on. Let me repeat, he broke both shafts with his BRAKES. I had to skid him down the mountain.That was fun.

seaside20070303009va1.jpg

Cool!
A dog that can type!

I know a guy with a YJ who ran 37 MT claws on his super 35 fully locked. There was a flaw in one of his shafts cause he went to crawl up a rock, backed down, and in the mix of going from reverse to drive to try again his shaft snapped so clean it looked like it was cut.

His next time he ripped the home made traction bar off when he was on ice just spinning, but the shafts and everything were fine. On the ride home he was hearing a popping and found out he was missing some teeth from his ring gear.

He now has a 8.8 in.

85xjwoody said:

Just messing around a little. A d35 is not worth trussing in my opinion. I broke three of them on 31" tires with a four banger under the hood. Granted I have a heavy foot but I don't consider the d35 worth that much work.

Kim

The reason you want to truss a D35, especially with a Super 35 kit, is because the weak center section can warp and increase the stress on the gears. With the 30 spline alloy shafts that come in a Super 35 kit the weak link is now definitely the gears, so trussing to strengthen the center section is very important to help the gears to live.

A Super 35 is pretty reliable with 33's, and you're pushing it with 35's unless you have a nice easy driving style. Of course, the type of terrain has a lot to do with it, it will live longer with 35's on slippery terrain than on hard surfaces. Driving style still has the most to do with it. I have a friend who made a Super 35 live in a TJ with 35's and then 37's, but he knew what he was dealing with a took it easy.

just my .02, a buddy has a 4cyl TJ, 35's, ARB's, a super 35 kit, tera lo kit. after a couple trips he bent a shaft. they replaced it...but I still consider it polishing a turd. it wont be as expensive as a new rear end right now since your already geared. he started from stock...which is why i give him hell about it..all the money spent on the arb, gears etc he could have had an 8.8 with a detroit for about the same.

sm

crunked said:
just my .02, a buddy has a 4cyl TJ, 35's, ARB's, a super 35 kit, tera lo kit. after a couple trips he bent a shaft. they replaced it...but I still consider it polishing a turd. it wont be as expensive as a new rear end right now since your already geared. he started from stock...which is why i give him hell about it..all the money spent on the arb, gears etc he could have had an 8.8 with a detroit for about the same.

sm

don't worry i'm already kick'n myself for going this route , I did it becouse of having abs and maines inspection laws ( still have to keep the abs ) , but what are going to do but live and learn. thanks for all the reply's

crunked said:

sm

No truss I bet. As Goatman said, a truss is necessary to keep the Super 35 dependable.

I wheeled a non c clip 1985 Dana 35 on trails with a 2.5L and 32x9.50s TSLs for a year and never broke it. No huge rocks, just trails, ruts, creeks, and ledges... I was easy on it b/c I knew the risk, no spare shafts either.

85xjwoody said:

Kim

a super 35 is a 1.31 dia axle 30 spline alloy, not even close to a stock unit about 20% stronger than stock dana 44 axles. the ring and pinion become the weak point but still as strong in design as a toyota 8"

trussed super 35 ARB, 4:56's waiting to go in

picture.JPG

Back