• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what do I need to install a factory hitch?

cjben

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep does not have a hitch and has never had one. it is a 92. I found a factory hitch from a tow package equipped xj that i want to mount on my xj. what do I need to look for on my xj to know if this hitch will fit without a lot of problems? thanks,Ben

Sorry i do not have an answer for you but i have the same issue and i wanted to know what year hitches will fit on my 96.

You will need the mounting hardware. Most hitches mount by feeding a carrige bolt in a 1/4" square of steel through the frame rail, since you cant get a wrench in there. I fed mine in with fishing line and it worked fine. The bolt closest to the bumper you can get a wrench on but thats about it. You should use grade 8 bolts.

did all xj's come with the nutserts in the frame from the factory whether they had the towing package from the factory or not? sorry for not going out and looking myself,but my jeep is not here to look at right now.

mine did not, I bought a reese hitcha t tractor supply and it came with a steel rectangle with a square hole in them. You fed them through the "frame" rail with the bolt and it would prvent the bolt from spinning in side.

I installed a hitch last month and it wasn't to difficult. The nuts were already there on the passenger side so it just bolted up. On the drivers side, I used a siff piece of wire to guide the nuts into place and then tightened it up. By the way, I have a 2000 XJ and the hitch was from an older model.

I put a hidden hitch on my 96 sport and it was a breeze. I like the fact that most of the hitch is hidden and it came with all the hardware needed, including the wire bolt holders which you feed through. No big deal and nutcerts were not required. Some folks gripe about the wire thingys but they worked. Some folks just like to gripe. Paid $125 for my hitch from JCWhitney. I looked pretty hard for one off of a wrecked xj but the ones found were too rusted and not worth the effort.

On a 92 you almost certainly will not have the factory nut strips. At some time around 97 they started putting the right hand one in to hold the exhaust bracket, but earlier ones don't seem to have it.

If you plan ever to remove the hitch, either to add a skid plate or to transfer it to another Jeep, I strongly suggest that you get the nut strips. Not only are the strips good for reinforcement and easy to put in, but It's a real PITA to get the carriage bolts apart once they rust, and you'll probably end up having to torch them off.

If you're getting the hitch from the junkyard, try to get the strips too. If it's a factory hitch, they should be in the vehicle, and if they weren't too rusty they can easily be reused.

These!
bracket.jpg

Back