• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Commuter Carnage.

Slacker87XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Haven't broken anything besides a window crank and tcase seal wheeling the heep for a year, but somehow I managed to blow up a front wheel bearing on SR520 driving home from work in Redmond today. At 10mph in traffic.

It went from fine, to wierd noises, to letting all the magic smoke out in about a 1/2 mile. wtf? :dunno: Anyone else have a bearing fail like that? I've been through front and rear wheels bearings on other rigs, but none failed catastrophically...

Yes, the axle nut was tight, and I know this thread already sucks. !!!1

:D

both of my fronts made noise for years before they finally developed enough play to make my lazy ass repace them. never lost one completely while driving. My bet is that its been that way for a while, when you replace it I bet your swampers get alot quieter:) .
Ryan

You were the SOB causing all the traffic!?!

Naw, I'm kidding. Was it wobbly at all for awhile before this? I've never heard of all that before - especially with smoke involved. Then what sucks is it's $175 at Schucks for a dumb bearing. Good luck nevertheless.

Edit: schucks and :)

Yes, the axle nut was tight, and I know this thread already sucks. !!!1

:D[/quote]

It was funny, none the less :)(your reference to your thread sucking, not your unfortunate commute catastophe) How'd you get home? Tow truck?

It wasn't loose that morning, and I'd checked over the weeked (no grease leaking out). On Northrup way just before the NE 20th onramp, I fell the rig pull to the right and settle a little, I thought it was a tire catching a rut in the road. Pulled on to the freeway, got up to 60 just in time to hit traffic and slow down, and the brakes felt squishy and there was a little slop in the steering. Then I noticed the smoke behind me.

I got a ride home, grabbed a used spare and had it swapped in 35min in the dark and rain by the side of the road. Made it home by 9:30. :D It's fine now, but the swampers are still loud. :)

The offending bastard:

bad_bearing.jpg

-i

Slacker87XJ said:
the swampers are still loud. :)

The offending bastard:

bad_bearing.jpg

-i

Wow, your really :explosion :flame: that thing. Nice work. They may still be loud, but do the still suck on road?:wave:
-Ryan

Blkxjkrawler said:
Wow, your really :explosion :flame: that thing. Nice work. They may still be loud, but do the still suck on road?:wave:
-Ryan

Haha, yeah, "the 520 crawl" is hardcore! :cheers:

Slacker87XJ said:
Haha, yeah, "the 520 crawl" is hardcore! :cheers:

Thats why I moved out of the U-District now I go around teh lake to get to work.

as a completely random side note has anyone considered building an aquatic XJ?

IXNAYXJ said:
Well, Joe, as a matter of fact....

EvansCreekOct8th029.jpg

-----Matt-----

Is that you before the snorkel
if so are you just stuck or did you suck up some water

Slacker87XJ said:
It wasn't loose that morning, and I'd checked over the weeked (no grease leaking out). On Northrup way just before the NE 20th onramp, I fell the rig pull to the right and settle a little, I thought it was a tire catching a rut in the road. Pulled on to the freeway, got up to 60 just in time to hit traffic and slow down, and the brakes felt squishy and there was a little slop in the steering. Then I noticed the smoke behind me.

I got a ride home, grabbed a used spare and had it swapped in 35min in the dark and rain by the side of the road. Made it home by 9:30. :D It's fine now, but the swampers are still loud. :)

The offending bastard:

bad_bearing.jpg

-i

Looks like it's been sitting in saltwater....:repair:

I had one completely blow apart on 520. Not cool at all, only thing holding the tire on was the caliper. I got on the freeway at 148th and it failed as soon as I got up to speed and over to the left lane. It sent me out of control over 2 lanes back right before i could counter it and move to the shoulder. It was about the equivalent of the tire completely coming off. And replacements are only $65 or so if you know where to get them...

T&A-XJ said:
Avanteone
New? or new-to-you?
Oh dammit, you're Tim the THOR guy, that's not fair - that's cheating.

I have a troll at Schucks that likes me, she give me 10% off everything, but you don't see me calling her out publicly....

Last edited:
I DO have a troll at schucks. I'm not sure you thought I called you a troll or if I should let my troll go and buy from you I don't know exactly where you're going with this. However I wasn't trying to ruffle your feathers. BTW are they new units or used? :)

Back