• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shut off driving down the road

bradmoody

NAXJA Forum User
my 98 xj shut off on me this morning going to work. Ive had no problem with this rig, all lights work, ac works,it turns over good just like it is supposed to do it just acts like its not getting fuel. I talked to a mecanic he said maybe a fuel pump or a cam shaft sensor, if it has one the dealer said it might be a switich plate in the distributor. I did check the valve stem in the fuel line by the injectors I guess this is where fuel pressure is checked, i pushed in on the valve stem and gas squirted out while just setting there. need suggestions pleasa.

bradmoody said:
my 98 xj shut off on me this morning going to work. Ive had no problem with this rig, all lights work, ac works,it turns over good just like it is supposed to do it just acts like its not getting fuel. I talked to a mecanic he said maybe a fuel pump or a cam shaft sensor, if it has one the dealer said it might be a switich plate in the distributor. I did check the valve stem in the fuel line by the injectors I guess this is where fuel pressure is checked, i pushed in on the valve stem and gas squirted out while just setting there. need suggestions pleasa.

did it restart?

Do a search for crankshaft position sensor.

Hy 96 did that out on the trail a couple times. But after 30 minutes it would restart and then run for seven hours with no problems. (Did that two days in a row.)
The consensus is the Crank (or camshaft) position sensor depending on which part list you look at. $96.00 from the dealer.

I had to get mine from the dealer, 'cause the one from NAPA had the wrong connector. The dealer looked up my VIN, and said I had a special option CXY which had an upgraded connector.

Old one out and new one in in 20 minutes. It starts, but I haven't run an endurance test yet.

I think im geting no spark I pulled a plug gave her a crank and seen no spark, when I plug and unplug cps plug I can hear relays click what does that mean?

This sounds exactly like what mine's doing. Everything seems fine and it just cranks. I tried two code readers because my CE light is burnt out. Neither one of the readers will link with the ECU. They give "vehicle not responding" messages. I'm guessing it's the computer at this point.

My cps also cycles what sounds like the fuel pump relay when we use a test light on the connector.

We shut it off up the canyon for a break and it wouldn't start again. We hitched out on ATV's and went back for it. Mine took us about 3 hours to get it to pavement and home again. Never wheel alone...:D

Geez, gang.

You're pretty much all describing the classic symptoms of a failed crankshaft position sensor. One of their problems is heat related, they'll frequently start working again once they cool off.

No, I really don't have that much personal experience with it. Mine just quit on me at 75 mph coming south out of Milwaukee a few years back. I managed to get it to limp back to Chicago, but it took several more failures.

Mine gave no warning and hasn't started since I shut it off while we were out wheeling. If it were or is the CPS, why wouldn't the code reader work? I've also never read or heard about a CPS that died all at once and wasn't intermittently failing first.

Oh, The code reader worked fine on it yesterday...before the incident.

my rig now shows a check engine light since I messed with it a little, all plugs are pluged back up like they were. I hooked the battery and hooked back up and it still reads check engine.

Try unplugging the MAP sensor and the little air tube that runs to it. Crank it a couple of times and see if trys to start. If it does feel like its gonna turn over, plug the sensor back up and attach the air tube should start fine. Mine did this for awhile, not sure why but it works. Worth a shot. Wierd thing was when i replaced the starter in it havent had to unplug it since.

I posted this in another thread but figured I should post my solution here...maybe it'll help.

If the CPS shorts, it sends the computer into a safe mode where it won't talk to the scanner. Unplug the cps, disconect the battery for awhile, then check the guages and scan tool. If that works, as it did on mine today, replace the cps, clear the code, and fire it back up. I thought my PCM was bad and got a new one. I then figured this out and fixed it and put my old PCM back in. Works great!

I found it here after I got a code out of the computer.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...ighlight=p1694

edit: you're right chiXJeff except mine didn't have "classic" symptoms so it threw me off.

We'll I've managed to get it into the shop and mechanic said looks like everything is pointing to the cps. So, nowhere in town is there one like mine bacause he said it was a jeep trans. instead of a dodge so he's had to order the part and looks like two more days.

Back