• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

In cab winch control

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
I bought an in cab winch control the other day, and it just dawned on me i might not be able to use it with a Warn integrated winch.

This is what i bought http://www.roadlessgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?page=RGJ/PROD/R/RG631

I didnt buy it from RoadLess Gear, bought from someone who had it for a project that was abandoned. Has anyone installed one or similar to an integrated winch? I have the Warn X8000i, i guess i could drill a hole in the winch housing, run the wiring through a grommet and try to seal it that way.

Search provided nothing on this..thanks.

I was just reading a magazine saying those in cab controls ar eone of the worst offroad accessories made. That being said that is not my opinion, I have never used/seen one just stating what I have heard. They said that trying to use buttons or whatever controls they have whilke on a bumpy trail will cause you to keep slipping off the controls??? Who knows, go for it!

John, I am pretty sure you can adapt it. I have made some one offs a few diff times for various types and brands. I love in cab controls. I wouldn't have it any other way personally. You should beable to disassymble your controller to see what style switch it is. This will let you know where to go with the swap.

Scrappy said:
John, I am pretty sure you can adapt it. I have made some one offs a few diff times for various types and brands. I love in cab controls. I wouldn't have it any other way personally. You should beable to disassymble your controller to see what style switch it is. This will let you know where to go with the swap.

It's probably a 3wire switch being the winch is from the late 90's. What i liked about this product was that it did not eliminate the regular controller..i want to keep it functional. I just want to wire this incab to the solenoids and have the option if i dont feel like getting my fat arse outta the Jeep for a short pull to get someone else unstuck, tree across the trail, reeling in a large Trout etc. :laugh3: (where's riverfever?)

Obviously on longer pulls i want to be outside the vehicle watching the spool wind in. Follow me?

Betcha i can drill a hole into the case and run the wiring. Was just curious if someone here already accomplished this.

Thanks all.. :laugh3:

Sure most of you guys are familiar www.12voltguy.com stuff. Worth checking his switches out..... Now back to your regularly scheduled program. :D

manuel072.jpg

ive got the same set up diffrent winch but you should be able to make it work for you i have had no probs with mine ..and the spot i mounted the switches is really easy to reach infact they are easyer to reach then my cdplayer is.. i am planing on moving the lights switchs to a beter place soon im workin on a mounting box now ..

You didn't read close enought it's a NEW 8274. It's a 5 wire controler so it's a grounding type controler. I know how to hook it up i just haven't gotten to it yet. It's only been on for two weeks now and I'm still not happy with the winch mount. The in cab controler is the least of my worries. I had the in cab hooked up with my old hyd three wire winch. I moved the controler plug-in to the grill and added an interior winch controler. They both worked to run the winch. I just never went through the hassle of pluging in the remote controler. I'm planning on moving the 8274 solinoid pack under the hood which is when I'll wire up the in-cab.

John-e Bravada said:
You didn't read close enought it's a NEW 8274. It's a 5 wire controler so it's a grounding type controler. I know how to hook it up i just haven't gotten to it yet. It's only been on for two weeks now and I'm still not happy with the winch mount. The in cab controler is the least of my worries. I had the in cab hooked up with my old hyd three wire winch. I moved the controler plug-in to the grill and added an interior winch controler. They both worked to run the winch. I just never went through the hassle of pluging in the remote controler. I'm planning on moving the 8274 solinoid pack under the hood which is when I'll wire up the in-cab.

Were you referring to me? I was speaking of my X8000i as being 3 wire. Sorry for the confusion.

Manuel, thanks for the pic, it gives me a better idea of the actual size. I like where you mounted it, mine may end up being in a switch panel between the visors.

i just hate pulling my controller through the back hatch over the seats. and laying across the hood with my window down.

no prb for the pic i really like where i mounted it i can sit comfertably in the seat one hand on the controler the other on the wheel i dont have to lean forward or anything it works nice used it a few times ...and the way the roadlessgear set up is i can still use the factory plugin controler if i need to

manuelxj said:
manuel072.jpg

ive got the same set up diffrent winch but you should be able to make it work for you i have had no probs with mine ..and the spot i mounted the switches is really easy to reach infact they are easyer to reach then my cdplayer is.. i am planing on moving the lights switchs to a beter place soon im workin on a mounting box now ..

:laugh: ... finally got around to attempting an install on this. Originally i wanted a FitchPanel.. but he has been busy.

manuelxj, did you take a dremell to the plastic structure behind the cig lighter pod to clear the switch and wiring?

I painted my winch and had some time after to start this job.

xjwork002.jpg

xjwork003.jpg

I also found that the ARB style rockers i have are a direct replacement in the XJ switch pods... didnt know that. The wiring didnt reconnect but could easily be done with jumper wires if you went this route.

I'll be getting switch pods with factory fog etc for my lights and use these switches.

xjwork005.jpg

Back