• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

two questions..axle related..

white_elephant

NAXJA Forum User
ok so my friend has a wagoneer with a d44 in the front an amc 20 in the rear...

im getting them cheap...

anyone running amc 20 in their xjs?? how are they...i heard they are call baby d60...even saw in a magazine..mm....he had his axle with 40 inch tires....so i think its worth is it??

mm next question..

what do i need to get the d44 under my xj..i know the plates but what else..? where is the best place to get them??

White Elephant is a good name. Do some searching. That combo is a pain to put in an XJ.

mmm...i looked for amc 20 nothing show..for d44 it did...but since someone hopefully will answer for the amc 20 then may as well answer for the d44....so i could print out the paper and do my research in the area around me..

the rear axle would be pretty easy to slap under the XJ. its a little bit wider than the XJ rear axle. the AMC 20 from waggys is a stout axle and is a bit different than the ones found in CJs. i dont think there is a lot of aftermarket support out there for it, such as lockers, etc....oh, and the pumpkin is huge. i had one in my waggy and it had really shallow gears (2.73?)

the front 44 is a mod that everyone and their brother has done, i would tell you about it, but you could find better info from searching.

HTH

-Tim

I have a D44 and AMC20 from a Waggy in my MJ.

The AMC20 works just fine but there are a few things that you have to deal with... first being its size compared to a 44, it likes to catch rocks. Second, the tubes have a bad habit of getting twisted in the housing, causing the pinion angle to get fuggered up, make sure to have someone competent in welding to cast iron weld the tubes to the housing to prevent this. Other than that, don't expect it to be D60 strength, it's just not that strong. I'd put it about on par with a D44 once all the differences balance out.

The front was a PITA to get under the truck. The RE kit is a good choice, but make sure you have someone cut the C's off the end of the housing to set your pinion angle so you have the proper caster or you will never get the steering sorted out.

Later,
Joe

white_elephant said:
mmm...i looked for amc 20 nothing show..for d44 it did...but since someone hopefully will answer for the amc 20 then may as well answer for the d44....so i could print out the paper and do my research in the area around me..

Well, to install a model 20 in the rear you weld on spring perches, then some shock mounts, then bolt it under the rig. For the front D44, you either buy a bracket kit for it or make your own link mounts, make the steering setup of your choice, and put it under the rig.

No secrets really, pretty normal stuff.

:)

thanks..

well im getting a good deal for both axles including the rims for them...

the amc 20 from the waggy well i ask the cj people and they told me is really good ....and im going to use it with 33s.....and my friend had it with 40s and it hold fine never broke anything ...

that thing has chromeoly axles and a lot of work done to it....

so does the 44....

so this is my idea

order long arm kit
mounting kit for the 44
u bolt eliminator for the amc 20 that will give 1.5 inches of lift
ordering 8-9 coil springs
sell my 33s
buy 35s or may be 37s with some trim..

what do you guys think??

this is a long term project since money isnt flowing rigth now but i have enough to do one thing at a time...

OPINIONS PLEASE

Back