• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear Install prices???

krelja

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody know of another place that they would trust to install gears in NJ besides OK4wd. A quick quote got me just under $500 and axle in just labor alone.I would still have to get the gears install kit and a new carrierand forget a locker at that price. It seems a little steep to me but I want to get them done by a place that is trustworthy. Any help would be great

Mr. Driveshaft in Farmingdale used to do them, and then got swamped with work. I recently called to ask if they will start doing them again and they told me in the spring when it warms up they will start for $250 an axle for labor.

As for price, the guys I know who run our shop told me it would be about $800 an axle installed including gears. Plus, while your at it, why not get a locker while everything is out.

You had better double check that quote. Most places around here is $250-$300 for a jeep axle install. I was Quoted $1300 for a complete install "Yukon" gears, and new front carrier included.

Looking at the price list from when i got my gears done

front R&P setup =$400
Rear R&P setup=$350
4.88 gears Front =$185
Rear =$185
Bearing Kit Front =$93
rear =$123

super 30 front, super 44 rear

-Tim

too bad you guys are so far away i charge $125 per axle
your best bet is to make friends with the diff guy at the local jeep/dodge dealer and get him to do it in the side

justin

500$ is rediculous, but expect to pay about 2-300$ an axle.

I called maybe hoping to hear 400 at the most and then he said around 478+ and my jaw dropped I want to lock it but if I get them installed at OK it is out of the question.

bigazxj said:
too bad you guys are so far away i charge $125 per axle
your best bet is to make friends with the diff guy at the local jeep/dodge dealer and get him to do it in the side

justin

What do you charge, $20 and hour or something??

I made the mistake of going to some crap garage somewhere that had a great rate ($250 per axle) then about 3 months later my gears exploded. Then i had them done at a reputable off road shop (oceanstate offroad) and paid just under $500 per axle, and havnt had a problem since.

IMHO, some times its worth the extra money to know that it was done right ;)

For 500 bucks you can buy the tools needed and do them yourself.

After paying 750 for my 4:10's, I bought a HF Press, Craftsman Torque wrench, 9 inch bearing splitter, Dial indicator and base,an inch lb torque wrench, race/seal install tool, and a set of calipers. First one took me a solid 12 hours, down to a full 6 hour day to set up an axle. Done about 18 setups in the last 2 years.

if you dont mind going to ct i know a guy who does fronts for $250 and rears for $200.

many guys in my club has had their gears done by him and not a single problem.

I might just try to score another 8.25 and do the rear myself no matter how long it takes. Pull the front DS and see if that works. The do the front soon after. I have alot of the tools need already just some of the specialized ones are all I'm missing, Dial Indicator, Bearing press etc.

DaffyXJ said:
For 500 bucks you can buy the tools needed and do them yourself.

After paying 750 for my 4:10's, I bought a HF Press, Craftsman Torque wrench, 9 inch bearing splitter, Dial indicator and base,an inch lb torque wrench, race/seal install tool, and a set of calipers. First one took me a solid 12 hours, down to a full 6 hour day to set up an axle. Done about 18 setups in the last 2 years.

I spent $50 at HF on a dial indicator, caliper, etc and had the bearings put on at the machine shop for $20. Well worth doing it myself.

I would steer way clear of OK4WD for anything to do with axles. Years ago, they were highly regarded for most of their work. However, their continued growth has spawned a sizable drop in quality, especially on the higher end work.

The owner seems like a nice guy, but that doesn't help much, if you have major problems with their work.

One good example is over on www.the-jersey-devil.com

http://www.the-jersey-devil.com/bbs/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=22760&page=1&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&fpart=

I know a guy that contracted them about a year ago for 4 complete axles for two trucks. There is no way I could come close the remembering all the problems that guy had. I know he is still having problems even a year later. Some that come to mind were wrong widths, wrong pinion angles, bad brake hard lines, locker failures, clearance issues and bracket issues.

If you are paying a premium price, shouldn't you deserve quality work?

After I paid 1800.00 to a local drivetrain shop for front and rear R&P installs...new gears (they claimed) unknown brand (they would only say that there are only two factories that build gears:moon: ) and they howled after the job was done, and they wouldn't do a thing to correct it.....

When they broke...I bought all the tools needed, and installed new gears myself....it's a miracle.....they don't howl....and I saved a ton of money...but i must admit i have a shop to work in, with an air compressor and a old arbor press...could kick my own ass for not doing it myself the first time....but i had the money and didn't want to fool with it....

I just built a front axle for my "new" MJ....hit the pattern on the second attempt.....the 8.8 is next.....oh yeah...a set of set-up bearings makes it go a LOT easier....

$300 is about max for what I'd pay to re-gear. I had some time on my hands last winter and re-geared my HP 30 myself. It took a few days but it came out great.

You can't really build one wrong if you take the time to get the pattern right and the backlash set right. With all the knowledge on these boards you can snap pics of your patterns and folks will tell you if you are in the ballpark and even give you suggestions on where to go with it if it isn't perfect.

I think everyone should build one once. Just don't rush it. Give yourself a week to get it right and don't settle until it is right.

Oh... and I don't have a press. I just slightly heat up the bearings and drive them home with a piece of tubing. Dummy bearings are mandatory too. You can easily make them out of your old bearings. I bought a little brake honing tool for a few bucks at Autozone to open up my old bearings. Took a half hour to do but worked like a charm.

Does anyone have a list of tools and/or a good thorough write-up on regearing. I think I'm gonna get a junkyard 8.25 and build it up. I need a pinion seal and probably some new brakes too. Regearing it while not in the heep would definately help.

dsgray16 said:
What do you charge, $20 and hour or something??

I made the mistake of going to some crap garage somewhere that had a great rate ($250 per axle) then about 3 months later my gears exploded. Then i had them done at a reputable off road shop (oceanstate offroad) and paid just under $500 per axle, and havnt had a problem since.

IMHO, some times its worth the extra money to know that it was done right ;)

i do them for that price on the side at home 1yr labor warranty
i do diffs at a dodge dealer to make a living.

justin

Back