• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

unstable feeing at high speeds

imfrankyj

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 92 XJ and when I drive it at high speeds and hit dips it sways to the right. I replaced the front shocks and that has helped some but I havent replaced the rear ones. will replacing the rear one probably fix this problem. It feels really unstable when I hit dips or big bumps. oh and the front sway bar is still on it. Its all stock.

Thanks

When is the last time an alignment was done?

Bump Steer is probably your problem, to solve just that problem, look up bump steer and whats needed to fix it.

BUT, if you've got worn out shocks, your NOT going to get a stable feel at high speed just replacing the front half, you have to do the rear as well. Most people replace the steering damper with the shocks, that will help with bump steer.

High mileage suspension, you should check all the ball joints (that includes tie-rod ends) and fix any with slop.

Another thing to check on high mileage suspensions, bushings, especially sway bar bushings those do wear out and create slop in the swaybars. The swaybars do a lot to maintain stability at higher speeds and help you in turns.

Unless the vehicle has been lifted, bump steer is not the issue. Bump steer is caused by a change in geometry.

You most likely have a worn suspension joint. It can run the range from control arm bushings to tie rod ends to track bar bushings to ball joints.

Is there any popping type noise when you hit the bump?

I have a similar problem. My 93 Cherokee also feels unstable at high speeds but its really bad if I it a seam in the road or rough pavement while going around a curve, even a gradual, highway type curve. It feels like the back end was jumping into the next lane.

It turns out that the jeep had a broken main leaf on the passengers side and I’m pretty sure the shocks are toast as well. Gonna try to change them out this weekend.

-Dean

An inspection of suspension sounds like the first step for both problems. As well, check the alignment. Fix or correct all the problems found, that should bring back the stable feel.

It really hard to diagnosis what is bad in a suspension from a general description over an internet forum. But going thru the whole suspension and correcting all the problems you find, and an alignment usually makes a world of difference with the suspension.

Bad Bushings, Swaybar Bushings and endlinks, tie rods or ball joints can cause that. As well, just worn out shocks.

You have to get under the vehicle and inspect, bushing look chunked, chewed up, falling apart, they need to be replaced. Ball joints, you push/pull tug on them and can see/feel them move when they shouldn't, they need to be replaced. Swaybar bushings and endlinks, if they are all deformed, chewed up, you can see gaps between the swaybar and the bushing, they need to be replaced.

Shocks, push up and down on the bumper, the bumper should return to the normal ride-height smoothly and not over shoot or continue to bounce. Shock that are shot still pass that test, but they are at least safe if they have enough damping left to pass the test. You often get an improvement when you replace the shocks even if they pass that test.

Back