• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Differential Identification Assistance

F9K9

Semper Fi
Dear Search Nazis,

Please feel free to flame away but, I have seached and cannot relocate a thread on identifying XJ rear differentials that was very informative. I am trying to get my junk running again but, need a "Yoke, Pinion". I have read and reread you http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349 "Guide To Seaching!!!" many times! All I am asking for is a link to help me identify my rear differential.

I have been on automotive forums for years but, you guys and gals are a tad more critical than most when a noob(newbie) asks a dumba_s question.

I am a retired dumba_s cop with 29 yrs dealing with druggies and had 2 tours in some far off forgotten conflict. If, flaming makes you feel good then please feel free! I am somewhat computer literate but, you guys have had me overwhelmed for 3 months. Back to my noob question...........

I have a 1992 XJ limited with 4.0, auto tranny and the NP242. I have ABS which some sites state was not available in the Chrysler 8.25 in 1992. My rear diff looks like this.....

ea68c59f.jpg

ea68c533.jpg

Any help would be deeply appreciated in providing a link to assist me in identifying the diff.

If, any members need technical assistance in GM products that are 2005 and earlier please shoot me a PM.

Thanks,

Reed

There are 2 yokes available. the standard most used 2.5" yoke and a 3" yoke that helps if you driveshaft is a little short.

I have bookmarked both threads and sincerely appreciate the links. I have been after the previous owner for a over a month to provide details about the rig to me but, alas he is in college and never had time to help me out. I posted and then checked my email and he responded finally. It is an 8.25 and the various parts that I have ordered are now null and void. I am very new to this but, sincerely love it. I purchased two relatively cheap XJs within a month or each other and am peddling as fast as I can to learn as much as I can. The nice one is already gone but, it led me to the lifted one.

eb8baeab.jpg

eb0775dd.jpg

Thank you for your assistance.

Reed

I judged the OEM crew a little to harshly. I have been lurking in the modified section and that is a blood thirsty lot. :doh:

Thanks for all your assistance!

You can also tell the 8 1/4 by the 3 bumps on the pinion snout. Those are left over from when Chrysler, and I DO NOT mean Damit/Chrysler, used the axle in the cars. There was a pinion snubber that bolted one right there, hence the bumps.

Yeah, alot of the MOD crew seem to forget that THEY used to be over on this side at one time, too. Anyway, welcome to the "club".

Thanks guys, I guess I need to hit google for 'Pinion Snout":sure:

It could be worse - you could be on Pirate!

Seriously tho - there doesn't seem to be a "one-stop shop" for Jeep tech, so I'm working on correcting that oversight. Click the link in my sig, look at the goodies I do now, look at the goodies I'm working on, look at the tech info I've got - and feel free to suggest anything you'd like to see there!

Just bear in mind that my coverage of fluids and tech specs is spotty because I only get the specs from OEM literature, and I'm working on collecting all the FSMs I don't have yet (I've got holes, but the collection runs from 1962 to 2001 so far...) And, I do need to make a correction on the fluids list (the Aisin manuals do not like GL-5 - they prefer GL-3, but will work on GL-4...) but I'm getting there. However, it's going to be an information clearinghouse driven by user suggestions (kinda like my concept for Swappology,) so give it a shufty and see if you can think of anything I missed.

Dayem. I stepped into a whirlwind of info here. Am I going to need another 3 months of lurking and searching before I can ask another question? J/K of course but, I have spent way too much time with S-10s and IFS suspensions. I do know Pirate very well but, after wheeling your taxpayer's rigs for free all those years I am just now getting into it as a hobby.

Plus the sweet ER RN had way too many friggin' "honey do" jobs for me and made the mistake of telling me to get a hobby.

My XJ is now known to not be stock for 1992. I need to go back and research all over.

All I was seeking was a pinion yoke. Thanks for all the help. If, I get stumped again, I will be back:)

By the way, if you go to the J-yard fo rthe yoke, look for the '70's Dodge trucks, as they had the U-bolt style yokes on the rear quite often. Small U-joint size,too.
My wife told me to take up a hobby and I figured that since we had 11 acres, I might as well start a farm. Now, all we can raise here seems to be XJ's and MJ's. (Darn the luck) :)

F9K9 said:
Dayem. I stepped into a whirlwind of info here. Am I going to need another 3 months of lurking and searching before I can ask another question? J/K of course but, I have spent way too much time with S-10s and IFS suspensions. I do know Pirate very well but, after wheeling your taxpayer's rigs for free all those years I am just now getting into it as a hobby.

Plus the sweet ER RN had way too many friggin' "honey do" jobs for me and made the mistake of telling me to get a hobby.

My XJ is now known to not be stock for 1992. I need to go back and research all over.

All I was seeking was a pinion yoke. Thanks for all the help. If, I get stumped again, I will be back:)

Brother, if you wanted XJ info, you are definitely in the right place! Don't be afraid to ask - but dip into the Zen of Searching (I know I get a bit frustrated when I see a question come up every week for a quarter... Especially when I answered it the first time!) However, it's unlikely that every answer made it over when we changed software some months ago, so there are bound to be some small holes (which is also the Genesis of the "FAQ" project, and some sites like mine.)

Granted, I'm trying to make my own tech archive a bit less "XJ/MJ-centric" and more "Jeep-Centric," but it will probably wander as well. However, it should make a handy reference for anyone doing work - and from what I've been able to find so far, assembly specs and such changed rather little over the years.

Ren - at least you've got 11 acres! I've got a corner lot with five XJ's growing around here... I'd like to have more room - but it's not going to happen in CA. Maybe I can open a Jeep salvage yard when we move to AZ...

Yeah, well. Somebody had to start growing these things. I just wish that I could get them to grow on trees, like my kids seem to think that money does.
Oh, and when you make it to the 'Zona, let me know. I feel like a trip to the desert again, one of these days. Might just drag the zoo, er, family with me for some western 'wheelin'.

F9K9 said:
I judged the OEM crew a little to harshly. I have been lurking in the modified section and that is a blood thirsty lot. :doh:

Thanks for all your assistance!

Well that and a lot of them are supreme smart asses and are just trying to get a reaction. They love it when they do. Then we have are youth they are always full of surprises too :laugh3: Then we have the mellow middle aged perfect fellas like myself who just cruise thru the forums with out any problems:smsoap: :smsoap: :smsoap: :smsoap: :smsoap: :smsoap: As long as the don't pop off to me ;) Just kiddin !
Just take it for what it is worth, just a bunch of guys talking Jeeps. :scottm:

boise49ers said:

Well that and a lot of them are supreme smart asses and are just trying to get a reaction. They love it when they do. Then we have are youth they are always full of surprises too :laugh3: Then we have the mellow middle aged perfect fellas like myself who just cruise thru the forums with out any problems:smsoap: :smsoap: :smsoap: :smsoap: :smsoap: :smsoap: As long as the don't pop off to me ;) Just kiddin !
Just take it for what it is worth, just a bunch of guys talking Jeeps. :scottm:

What about us crotchity old farts?:jester:

You guys have been a wealth of info and I am grateful for all of it. 5-90, I haven't a chance to check your database but, today I got some info from my Chevy/Jeep service manager/friend that the Chrysler Corporate 8.25" rear diff was offered in several rigs from '76 until '03 and the '92 XJ had the 8.25" and D35 available.

I should have a new yoke in tomorrow
and hope to get back on the road for a trail ride on Sunday. Naturally, I learn tonight that a 27 and 29 spline units were available for various years and have no clue on what yoke is coming in. I do know now that I have a 29 spline.

Axle shafts have the different spline counts. The spline count on the yoke is the same, a 2.5" and a 3" long XJ one is available as are some different old car/truck ones.

Back