• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock question

90XJay

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
At the current moment i have a 3" lift (rusties) and i am planning to go to 4.5. (trac bar/sye held me back first time) and I have a question about the shocks. When i was putting in my first lift, I was removing the stock shocks in the rear i had one bolt snap (1 out of 4 on a 90 in New England aint bad lol) since time was short my dad just welded the spot where the bolt was which has held up fine but now i want to replace the shock. My question is there a kit out there to change how the shocks mount to the top of the rear of the xj that anyone here would suggest/reccomend? Also I'm assuming running 3" shocks in a 4.5 lift is a bad idea correct? i'm guessing doin that would run the risk of ripping the shock out flexing right?

90XJay said:
My question is there a kit out there to change how the shocks mount to the top of the rear of the xj that anyone here would suggest/reccomend?
I used the mounting ends off a rear XJ sway bar for Bar Pin eliminators. Works great and free. Do a search on here lots of info.

I did the same thing. Take the rear anti-sway bar off. You will see two brackets where the bar ends attach (mounted to frame). These are the parts you want to save. These will directly fit the mounting bolt holes for the shocks upper mount. When in place, you can then buy shocks with eye bushings (loop style) on both ends.

ah crap, mine didn't have a rear swaybar when i got it lol off to the junkyard! good homebrew idea. got any pictures of it done?

Back