• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sun or Moon roofs on Cherokees

justme

NAXJA Forum User
I've been told that Cherokees cannot wear aftermarket sun roofs or moon roofs because of the ridges in the roof. Is the only way to have a sunroof is to purchase a jeep that has one from the factory?

yeah and watch for them, test drove one with a sunroof and i was going down the highway about 75 doing wobble checks and it popped open, and wouldnt shut, the gears were not meshing or were stripped : /

I've seen them in the jy and noticed that the sunroof mechanism itself is very similar to the Explorer. I didn't measure to know for sure but it looked identical. That would lead me to believe that its been done aftermarket.

I went and looked at a cherokee with one in it. it was just up front; I believe there are no ridges were it was but I am not sure

i HAD a sunroof. was cool for a bit. began to leak. i seale it ,rhinolined the outside, and put a nonsunroof headliner and no one ever knows

I made a gasket for mine from a piece of rubber roofing ( like what they line the bottom of a pond in a greenhouse with, or cover with gravel when it is used to roof a big building). It is about an 1/8th of an inch thick, and does not leak, and will probably outlast my MJ. I did have to silicone the actual glass shut, as the gasket that goes under the glass and fills the gap between the frame is no longer available. This is an aftermarket sunroof, by the way. This can make for a handy way to get out of the truck, the next time that it is buried in mud over the hood (no more mudpit INSIDE the truck).

justme said:
I've been told that Cherokees cannot wear aftermarket sun roofs or moon roofs because of the ridges in the roof. Is the only way to have a sunroof is to purchase a jeep that has one from the factory?

its one of the few design flaws of an otherwise brilliant effort by AMC. Ohh well i coulda used a rear hatch in the style of a 4runner or bronco with a electric roll down glass. I wouldnt mind a sun roof, or moon roof. I wouldnt pay for a new one, or mod my water tight rig with some POS aftermarket leak prone unit.

I've got an aftermarket on my '98 XJ. No leaks yet. Can't remember the name though. It does go over the ridges in the roof, but the guys that did the install did a nice job. They crimped down the ridges as much as possible and then sealed the heck out of it. I'm not really liking it though. I use it all the time and with as rough as my XJ rides, I feel it's only a matter of time until it shatters while open.

I bought this XJ with the sunroof installed. I'm pretty sure its been in from feb of 2000 due to the sticker in the glove. I think the sunroof is made by American Sunrrof Company(ASC). No leaks as of yet but it does rattle a little bit only when raining wierd but either way here are some pics

click to make em bigger

krelja said:
I bought this XJ with the sunroof installed. I'm pretty sure its been in from feb of 2000 due to the sticker in the glove. I think the sunroof is made by American Sunrrof Company(ASC). No leaks as of yet but it does rattle a little bit only when raining wierd but either way here are some pics

click to make em bigger

probably ASC if you think that is the name, they are an original equipment manufacter they make pretty nice stuff. Good company they are a detroit company. They make lots of convertibles, soft and retractable hard tops (i know they made the mitsubishi 3000gt spyder) which was pretty slick and approx. a $20,000 option. Not very good value but it was cool.

My dad has one in his 98' cherokee the papers that came with the jeep said it was installed at 23k and it has 120k on it now never has leaked... except that one time I left it open, I will check the brand tommorow and get back to you guys.

I have an aftermarket take off / pop up sunroof on my 97. The frame of the sunroof is designed for the roof ridges. I've had no problems with leaks, except of course when I leave it open, or close some pine needles between the seal and glass. -Jim C

JimsXJ said:
I have an aftermarket take off / pop up sunroof on my 97. The frame of the sunroof is designed for the roof ridges. I've had no problems with leaks, except of course when I leave it open, or close some pine needles between the seal and glass. -Jim C

hmm got any pics of this unit ?

my friend emily bought their jeep from a dealer brand new and it came with an electric sliding sunroof installed, and it never leaks.

i own a 89 xj and it has a power sunroof i bought it used from the original owner i believe that it was installed at the dealer because the instalation sticker says it was install at odometer reading 000003 , when i first bought it it was great, it never leaked or rattled but now after many offroad trips it rattles like hell and dripped water on my seats...:bawl:

if any one has any way of installing a "custom" sunroof after the removal of the old power one please PM me...

2001 XJ, Factory moonroof, 77000 miles, no leakes, no rattles, but the seal on the outside is turning colors and crackig, anyone know if that is easily replaceable?

EMSJEEP said:
2001 XJ, Factory moonroof, 77000 miles, no leakes, no rattles, but the seal on the outside is turning colors and crackig, anyone know if that is easily replaceable?
I would like to see some pics of that if you have any

Back