• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Sputtering around turns?

Trbocharg

NAXJA Forum User
When I first start up my truck and take fast turns the engine sputters hard but does not stall out. This only happens when I really floor the pedal and take a turn. After the hesitation the engine runs totally normal. I just did a full tune up and replaced wires, plugs, and distributor. I was thinking that this could be a clogged fuel filter but my XJ’s a 97 and I think the filter is located within the tank. Also if it was a fuel problem I think the engine would stall out.
Can anyone help me figure this problem out?

Thanks,
Adam

Trbocharg said:
When I first start up my truck and take fast turns the engine sputters hard but does not stall out. This only happens when I really floor the pedal and take a turn. After the hesitation the engine runs totally normal. I just did a full tune up and replaced wires, plugs, and distributor. I was thinking that this could be a clogged fuel filter but my XJ’s a 97 and I think the filter is located within the tank. Also if it was a fuel problem I think the engine would stall out.
Can anyone help me figure this problem out?

Thanks,
Adam

On my 97 TJ i had an "in tank pickup and filter combo"
It also has similar symptoms. I replaces the screen at the pickup which happens to allmost touch the bottom of the tank. You slosh that around a bit, youre undoubtably moving junk around,...and its momentarily stopping up the filter. Either way it helped me 100% when i replaced that screen.

Back