• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flooded with EFI?

Professor Bobo

NAXJA Forum User
I have cold started my XJ and had to turn it off just there after for one reason or another. When I go to restart it acts flooded. I have to floor it to get it to start. Once started I need to pedal the accelerator to clear the fouled out plugs. Once that is done, it runs fine. But I know it's not right. Any Ideas? Also, in the past, I have opened the throttle body and looked into it and found the bottom of the intake "wet". I used to see it on my old 'Cuda with a carb. but never with EFI. Any Ideas about this one?
BTW I'm getting no codes.

OK, lets see, if its EFI, that limits it to about 20 something years of XJs. Wanta give us a few more clues? :D

Like the year maybe?

When was the throttle body wet, on cold humid mornings, or dry 120 F Arisona desert?:D

How long between turning it off and restarting it?

It's a '93. Michigan... below freezing. Restarted within a minute or less.
I am trying to get my signature to work!

Last edited:
The amount of fuel the computer thinks is going into the engine and what is actually going into the engine can differ.

A bad sensor, or a malfunction that tricks the sensor, can trick the computer into inputting too much fuel. A leak in the exhaust that lets outside oxygen in with the O2 sensor, a bad TPS, a bad MAP sensor, a short in the wiring from a sensor. They don't always throw codes, especially the MAP sensor, the signal being slightly off will trick the computer and it won't recognize it as being bad.

A malfunction can cause more fuel to go in then the computer intends. Dirty or Bad Injectors, a short in the Injectors, low fuel pressure, a dirty air filter, etc. Dirty Injectors don't atomize the fuel and it doesn't get carried into the cylinder as well, fails to ignite right away and collects everywhere, including the intake manifold.

As well, a weak ignition can delay start up, and cause the fuel to pool. If you've got more than 60k miles on the plugs, ignition wires, cap or rotor, it can't hurt to replace them.

Finally, how many miles on the motor, a worn motor, or a motor with cylinder ring damage, valve damage, etc would be very hard to start on cold mornings. The pooling fuel could just be a secondary effect from a bad/worn out motor that just can't start right away.

Something has malfunctioned with the database of the board, trying to edit anyone of the double post, just takes me back to the original post. It seems these dozens posts are just pointers in the database.

Rick, I only see 3 posts from you; the original and two more complaining about 8 additional posts?

Looks like the system corrected itself. I accidentally hit the button twice, and darn there was the double post, then suddenly it turned into 8 posts then a dozen or more identical posts going all the way down the screen. If I tried to edit the posts to shorten them, it would just take me back to the original 1 of 2 double posts.

Now its normal, just a double post. WEIRD.

langer1 said:
Slow temps sensors cause that. The O2 sensor is ignored at startup but the temp senors adjust the fuel mix.
I'm sure its different with the different EFI systems over the year, but most EFI systems are adaptive. I.E. the corrections the O2 sensor causes for the EFI system are stored in a table and used even when the system is open loop, like start up when it ignores the O2 sensor.

So its possible, like my Brothers Wrangler that the had the OEM Steel Tube Exhaust Manifold for the Straight Six crack wide open with the O2 sensor exposed to air, for extremely rich corrections to be applied and cause problems during start-up. My Brother had those same problems as well as many others, from having a huge hole in the exhaust Manifold.

Obviously if you hear a horrible exhaust leak, I would suspect that as a possible cause, but no huge leak, I would else where.

Heck, if its really cold out, plain old dirty fuel injectors could be your problem.

my first try would be the routine and cheap maintenance. run a good fuel injector cleaner for two tanks in a row and do a full tune up. that should be done anyway, and if it does not fix it, then the worst you did is maintenance. it will probably take more to get it right, but that should help at least.

It's never happened to me on an XJ, but my wife's Honda did this routinely. If you didn't run it for a minute or more, it would crank itself dead restarting. I would check some sensors on the XJ, because I don't think it's usual for it to start that rich.

Back